September 27, 2024, 10:30:37 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I think I got the dog thing figured out, guys.  (Read 631 times)
Squealin_Shoat
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2009, 01:47:38 pm »

Thanks to the advice you fellas gave me, I know a lot more about what to look for in a dog (bloodline rather than breed). I've done a little thinking about the types of places where I will likely be doing most of my hunting, and so I've figured out the following:

1) I will be looking at getting 2-4 dogs; BMC or Cats.
2) I want a short/medium range dog that I can hunt on the ground and from a truckbed. I want them to be able to find their own trails but if need be, to be able to walk-and-stalk and put them on hog sign that I see.
3) Since I'm not planning on getting a bulldog, I want the dogs to be able to catch small hogs themselves, but bay loose on anything larger or more dangerous so they don't get tore up (and so I can get a shot off).

Is this feasible? What are your thoughts?

Just tryin to educate myself as best I can so I have some idea of what the heck I'm doin...I don't want to end up in the middle of the woods with one dog stuck to my hip, one following a trail in the next county, and one trying to latch on to a 400# boar all by himself... Grin

elliscountyhog
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 02:32:27 pm »

It is feasable! However sometimes you cant help that a dog goes far, alot of times while hunting a hog will bust out of a brush or thicket b4 the dogs get there and get on the trail and go.. That is y you must make sure you have the right amount of land and farmers ok to hunt that area.. But it seems that you need to get 2 or 3 good cur dogs. Most cur dogs will catch shoats anyhow but look for some that are not rough, if you have one that is rough then the other will jump in most the time.. Look for someone that has a good line of shootover dogs and start from there.. Probally try and get a pack that has hunted together or train some youngins together..

Hunt Hard or STAY HOME!
"If the dog won't leave and go look, I'm not wasting my time." Quoted by Bryant.
Bryant
Global Moderator
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 02:56:44 pm »

Squealin_Shoat,

First off, let me applaud you for doing your research and trying to educate yourself on what you desire in your pack before opening your wallet.

The desires you have for your pack are all very feasible.  The first thing I would suggest is that when you find some prospects that appear as though they will suit your needs, require that you hunt with them first in their usual environment and with the owner.

Keep in mind also, that dogs oftentimes will act differently by themselves, or with an unfamiliar group of dogs than they're used to hunting with.  For example, you buy three individual short range dogs from three different places.  Put them together, and they might start feeding and competing with one another and you end up with a pack that together will hunt deeper than alone.  Same can be said about catchy dogs.  I personally have two male dogs that are extremely catchy when hunted together...seperate them with looser dogs and they both will bay all day.  Some things like that you really can't control until you get a pack and start hunting them together.

A truly rich man is one whose children rush to fill his arms even though his hands are empty.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: