September 20, 2024, 06:39:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question...#1  (Read 4082 times)
Purebreedcolt
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2011, 01:04:42 pm »

Sorry mike just reread my post and didn't mean for it to turn toward that.
chainrated
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2011, 01:07:37 pm »

After the race is goin I don't think it matters as much but I think you still have better percentages of caught hogs if the dog is silent. BUT nothing works every time...

Our houses are protected by the good lord and a gun, you might meet em both if you show up here unwelcome son..
okie hogger954
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2011, 01:47:26 pm »

I thank the only time it may really matter is if there where more than one hog in the first bay. If there is only one hog I dont see were it would hurt anything if a dog opens, because I know there is alot of dog that yip on track after the bay breaks it is because there excited and want to catch the pig.
3Whoghunter
Alpha Dog

who wants to hunt

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2011, 01:52:52 pm »

Sorry Mike. It don't bother me at all atleast when they do I know they ain't quiting on a runner. Like I said I'm to poor for a gps

LEG EM! LEG EM!!
TimmsHogDogs
Alpha Dog

CRAZY DOG KENNELS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2011, 04:14:36 pm »

Mike, for me its personal preference. When I hear a dog bark I want it face to face with the hog, not barking behind it..........I don't like an open dog, even though I have owned and hunted both hounds and open curs I just prefer a silent dog. When I hear a dog bark, I want to hear "I have him stopped, come get him"..... Grin

But again, its more of a personal thing. I have seen dogs open behind a hog that breaks and seen them stop the hog. Just not what I personally like.......but I am just old and grumpy and set in my ways..........LOL

I completely agree

*Crazy Dog Kennels*
geronimo
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2011, 05:07:31 pm »

I think your biggest advantage with a silent dog is when you first turn out and they first find the hog. The hog doesn't know they are coming and all of a sudden there is a dog in their face. I believe some hogs that would have run if they heard a dog barking will stand there and fight at least for a few minutes if a dog surprises them.. After that if the hog breaks then yeah he knows something is after him and your odds do go down a little.
I agree that a lot of silent dogs will yip a little out of excitement right behind a hog after it breaks and then shut back up. Or mine do...
   i agree with chain on this a hundred percent
sdillard
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2011, 08:33:39 pm »

Yes once bay breaks I want the dog putting everything possable into re baying that hog not babbling like a 1 year old lol and if the hog does not hear the dogs babbling it is my thoughts he does not run as fast, hard or long and the dogs will surprise him again.  Again this is just my thoughts and observations also I don't think every hog is the same some do things others won't.

X2
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 08:37:50 pm by sdillard » Logged

Work on em son, work on em
TShelly
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2011, 08:39:05 pm »

We agree mike! All ours are open after the hog leaves out, sounds like a dang pack of birds once it breaks! It still produces hogs for us Smiley

Get ahead dog!
jsh
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2011, 08:44:12 pm »

I've argued this so many times with people about a dog giving mouth after a hog breaks because they claim it will push the hog(s) farther out.  So when you hunt the dogs that "roll out" and catch hog after hog after hog,  how is this situation any different?  You still have the sounds, sights and smells of a bay/catch and they're rolling out onto another hog.  So what are a few yips gonna do when one breaks?  
Purebreedcolt
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2011, 09:01:55 pm »

Imo jdt it let's the hog know they are right on his tail and not 500 yards back.  It may not make a difference but if you don't have dogs that will role 3 miles on a hog maybe a mile you need every advantage you can get.  This is me and how my dogs work so I want total silence till face to face but again this is jmo so please don't take it the wrong way
jlewis713
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2011, 07:02:47 pm »

My hunting partner and I have 11 dogs between us right now. Some are totally silent and some will open after they jump a hog or if a hog breaks. I can honestly say that I can't see a major difference in the the percentage of hogs caught between these 2 different type dogs.

Sometimes the ones that yip on track irritate me and I think I wish they'd shut the hell up because they're just pushing the hog harder. Sometimes I wish the silent ones would yip a little so I'd know if they were still on a hot track or if they'd fallen out of a race.

In the end, they both find, stop, bay, and produce hogs. I don't really think the opening or yipping on track pushes a hog any harder than a silent fast dog that a hog knows is right behind him.

To each his own in my book.
jdt
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2011, 01:19:10 pm »

uuuhhh   purebreed , don't you mean jsh ?
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: