October 26, 2024, 12:32:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ridgeback  (Read 1075 times)
bayedup89
Bay Dog

View Profile
« on: June 10, 2011, 04:59:24 pm »

i gotta question i have been running dogs now for about three year and i used to only use pit bull x for catch dogs until here recently i started using ridgebacks, what do you think is better, i mean my ridgeback is faster and stronger but my pit hits like a mack truck. which one would yal think is better,
SwineHunter
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 05:04:17 pm »

none of above

GRAB A FORK WERE LOOKEN FOR PORK
ETHHunters
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 05:08:27 pm »

I have a ridgeback and if you wanted one to saddle up and ride then the ridgeback is definitely the way to go!
BIG CHRIS
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 05:16:04 pm »

i am a die hard pit fan, so that is my answer!!! i have been seeing alot of ppl talk about a ridge, i want to know what it is that makes them so desireable? what is that special something about them? most ppl i hear talk about them are crossing them. do they make good strike dogs, just catch dogs or a RCD? im simple a catch dog catches, a strike dog strikes and bays and has to be able stop a hog from running till the help dogs and catch dogs get there!!! at that point i love for my main strike dog to roll out and bay up again.

strike dog = strike and stop a hog

help dog / bay dog = bays the hog and helps catch

catch dog = goes in and catches nothen else!!!!

so where does the ridge fit into this?

Dogs hit the ground noses down! That's how we roll...
Purebreedcolt
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 06:07:12 pm »

Flat out stamina/ heat resistance.  My pit is caput after a couple mins in any heat my ridgeback I have left caught for 15 mins and he is bairly out of breath.  Holds clean and don't fight the hog now if I was not so fond of him lol hardly take him out.
bayedup89
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 06:36:18 pm »

i no that i love my pit catch dogs but when i know that i am going to be out there for a while or if i wanna make sure that i do not lose a pig i bring my ridgeback because they are more capable of running longer and not winding them selves, dont get me wrong pits are great catch dogs, but i have not yet seen one that can out run my dog or stay working longer, i use my female ridge as a rcd due to the fact that she will find her own pig also, but my male ridge is not going to let any pig get away. i have seen some damn good pits but they all get winded to short for me.
SCHitemHard
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 09:51:37 pm »

i see a RR as a help dog, seems like it bays first then hits when it knows theres backup

Matt H
Cleveland, OH
YELLOWBLACKMASK
Lord of the Hogs

Keep em Straight and Keep em Yeller

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 01:08:50 am »

Why don't you try a cross of the two. I have had several and used them for catch and I personally love them. Leggy, fast, heat resistant, and hard catchers. I have hunted full blood Ridges without being impressed and I don't like to keep straight pits around our ranch (Personal preference) but a cross has worked supurb for me. Good luck.
bayedup89
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011, 11:44:14 am »

yea i have noticed that my rb will give it a bark then hit sometimes, but i am thinking about crossing my rb with either a pit or a bmc, which one would yall think would b better i am just tryin to get off straight pit catch dogs.
YELLOWBLACKMASK
Lord of the Hogs

Keep em Straight and Keep em Yeller

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2011, 01:42:25 pm »

yea i have noticed that my rb will give it a bark then hit sometimes, but i am thinking about crossing my rb with either a pit or a bmc, which one would yall think would b better i am just tryin to get off straight pit catch dogs.

If you have a full blood ridge, I would cross first to bulldog if your wanting catch. Then you can come back over with a cur cross for a 1/4 Pit  1/4 Ridge and 1/2 cur for some decent lil bay dogs that are prob still rough as a cob. Sorry just my opinion but I like to cross something into a pit to give it a little sense and not have a walking robot that I don't trust around my kids. Again just my personal preference no offense to the die hard pit men.

I have had several pit/ridge cross for catchdogs in the past and had extremly good luck.  Again leggy, fast,can catch a breaking hog in full gear, heat resistant and has decent sense to it.
Purebreedcolt
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2011, 01:52:20 pm »

I have two pits at the house but am the same way I just don't fully trust them.  They are the best mannered but.... I trust my ridgeback with anything or anyone
bayedup89
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2011, 02:50:20 pm »

i guess it just seems like ridgebacks are more mild tempered because my pits are real mouthy they will growl and bark at just about anyone, my rb are totally opposite, my rb will not growl at anyone, so i think that when it comes to all around dog i have to go with rb. but i think i am going to make some crosses here pretty soon to see what turns out
ETHHunters
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2011, 03:02:51 pm »

I only use Pitts as catchdogs tried a few others even the famous abxdogo cross they just didn't cut it for me. I have a ridgeback and im right the opposite. I trust my pit with anyone even my two young sons but I don't fully trust the ridgeback. I will say one thing for my ridgeback I have only hunted him two times both in the hill country. He ran solid for about two days and never slacked up. Toughest footed dog I ever seen.
leonidas
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2011, 10:20:54 pm »

I think you will find both breeds work just fine....All breeds has its culls....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: