September 27, 2024, 01:19:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nurse gyp  (Read 565 times)
BobbyB
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« on: August 02, 2011, 06:46:45 pm »

Like a nurse cow.

I have a Brittany gyp that has had 3 litters. She always has big pups and they always get mud fat while nursing. I have always thought she has richer than average milk.

The other good thing about her is, she seems to feel the more the merrier. The litter she just had was 4. I almost put some of my cur pups on her to lighten Petras load. I just didnt do it.

But now, we have a hand full of pups that werent doing so well. The other Britt gyp got cranky and started trying to wean hers, so I pulled her and let Bonnie in and she took hers, Coveys 4 pups and the one cur in and they all nurse like they were with Mom and Bonnie is just as happy as she can be.

I am glad she is that way because it just seems mommas milk vs replacer is kinda like a rain vs watering the garden. Both get the job done, but the real thing just puts a bloom on everything. These pups are gaining daily.

Anyone else use a nurse gyp?

" If you can't have no fun, ain't no use agoin' ! " - old man in a Sweetwater, TX cafe
TimmsHogDogs
Alpha Dog

CRAZY DOG KENNELS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 07:03:46 pm »

No but I have a cat that will do that, how do you tell the Brit pups apart after they have all been in together?

*Crazy Dog Kennels*
BobbyB
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 07:34:59 pm »

No but I have a cat that will do that, how do you tell the Brit pups apart after they have all been in together?

Come on Eva, they dont look alike!! But in this case, Bonnie's pup is about 3 times as big and much more white than orange.

" If you can't have no fun, ain't no use agoin' ! " - old man in a Sweetwater, TX cafe
arrowbar
Alpha Dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 09:15:23 pm »

I had two of my plotts give birth with in days to all black brindles, at first they only wanted to nurse thier own pups but then I think they just gave up and like a bunch of lions they all nursed from both of them. I had to use a silver sharpie every few days and semi brand them to be able to tell them a part. Last time I do that about having two litters at once
Oly
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 08:50:06 am »

I have a bitch that every time she hears puppies she bags up and drops milk, never had to use her as a surrogate mother, BUT I am sure she would do it with no problems. 

O

"If it is againts the law for a man to fend for himself--- then outlaw I am"
uglydog
Jelk's & Brick House Catahoulas
Global Moderator
Hog Doom

It's a good day to have a great day!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 09:52:58 am »

I have used other momma dog many times. Unfortunately my best milk cow is aged and drying up, she will be missed when she is gone for that reason alone.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: