September 22, 2024, 04:28:38 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Not very happy tonight  (Read 1650 times)
levibarcus
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« on: August 25, 2011, 11:02:29 pm »

My neighbor asked me to come over and catch a couple of boars that are running the deer off of the feeders. First off we made a drop at a feeder that came up dry, so we went around to the other side of the place and dropped Red and LJ and went toward the second feeder. Just inside the gate the dogs were about 40 yd. ahead of us and started acting piggy, so I killed the 4 wheeler and let them work. It was strange, they milled around like they were trying to work it out and then trailed slowly for about 300 yd. and came back to where they started. As soon as they got back to the starting point they jumped the hog less than 50 yds. from us and the 4 wheeler! They ran him about 50 yd. and he set up and we had a good bay. So far so good, right? We cut 2 cds to them and followed them in. I heard them hit and then the fight. I could smell boar hog and could hear heavy breathing and brush crashing. When we got about 30 yd. from them he shook them off!!!??? I was not a happy feller to say the least. The bay dogs found him again a couple of times and ran him about a mile through some nasty mess, but finally lost him.

I think I need a good cd. One of the cds tonight is an older dog missing 2 canines. I think that he isn't getting a deep enough bite and getting slung off. The other cd is a pit/dane gyp that saw her third hog in the woods tonight. She went to the bay like a rocket and got cut in a few places but nothing serious. It was a good hog too, my neighbor has a lot of pics of him and said he is about the same size as one he shot a couple of weeks ago that I saw, and it went about 225 or better. He didn't give so much as a grunt when the dogs caught, so he must be a tough old hog. Anyway, I just had to vent, I'm sure I'm not the only one to ever have this happen.  Wink
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 11:04:02 pm by levibarcus » Logged

But seek first the kingdom of God and all these things will be provided for you. Matthew 6:33
S_J_KENNELS
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 11:10:48 pm »

I am sure we have all had it happen a time or two LOL. Sounds to me like you need an older catchdog to run with the pit/dane and use the other one as a back up to the two of them. I have had CD's without their K9s and hunted them paired with two others that were solid catch still. Good luck you will get that boar next time. It was a learning lesson for your young dog.

Shane
Dexter
Hog Master

Confetti Catahoulas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 05:12:19 am »

levi
  sounds like one of those night as my dad would say"dont think you was holding your mouth right"
 sometimes things just happen,try  the hog in the early day light
 o yeah
  you might need a Dogo -------------------------->>>>>------------------------------------------>>>>>hidding across the fence
              just kiddin looked like a good place  to do a lil stirring
naw  sometimes  it just waggles out that way
 good post  and read  thanks for sharing
  Dexter

Confetti Catahoulas
Skip A Rope Catahoulas
skip_a_rope_catahoulas@yahoo.com  confetti_catahoulas@yahoo.com
t.wilbanks
Hog Doom

Trenton Wilbanks Daingerfield,Tx

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 09:00:14 am »

you might need a Dogo

I dont think thats a good idea, he is already having enough trouble catching the hog...   Tongue  Grin

txhogsanddogs
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 10:31:51 am »

Keep your head up, it happens to everyone that's been hunting.  Summer time has a big effect on that.  Underbrush is at it's high, dogs are hot.  Keep them going.  Don't make a change after one boar.  Stay in the woods, you'll get him. 

Proud TDHA Member!
jon
Alpha Dog

Lake Texoma Hog Dogs

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 10:33:40 am »

Keep your head up, it happens to everyone that's been hunting.  Summer time has a big effect on that.  Underbrush is at it's high, dogs are hot.  Keep them going.  Don't make a change after one boar.  Stay in the woods, you'll get him. 
well said

sshh... ya hear that??? there bayed boys!!!!!
TDHA Member
DangerZone
Hog Master

TDHA Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 11:10:00 am »

X2

From squeal to meal with one good stick!  Hunting is not a sport, It's a way of life...Danny Ward
derbettis
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 06:00:49 pm »

i agree dont change anything they werent ready for that. if any thing get a real gritty bmc help dog to keep the big ones occupied for catch dogs to get a good hold.
jsh
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 05:40:03 am »

Don't beat yourself or your dogs up.  If they have caught big boars for you before, they will do it again.  It's hard for those bulldogs to manuever through the underbrush/briars in a vest - not to mention they sound like a freight train. 
levibarcus
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 12:54:06 pm »

Thanks for the encouragement ya'll. The hogs have been scarce in my country this year, so it sucks to lose one when you get on it.

But seek first the kingdom of God and all these things will be provided for you. Matthew 6:33
burton
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2011, 02:21:38 pm »

Give a little while and he will probably be back. The last two hunts we have jumped a boar in the same spot two weekends in a row with the same results getting whooped, cut up, and then outrun.
skunkhounds
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2011, 02:24:28 pm »

it  happens to every body so dont feel bad  thats why its hunting not catching

Let's make a round
jimmy_creed
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2011, 04:58:40 pm »

levi just come on down the road a little ways and hunt with me we are getting ovar ran with hogs and have no one to hunt with
rdjustham
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2011, 05:03:53 pm »

hey man at least you got on one.  you got to see the dogs work and produce at the end of it.  Even though you didnt get to put him on the fourwheeler they still showed you the pork. At least to me thats what its all about.  Stay with it, he will be on the buggy eventually.
BIG CHRIS
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2011, 05:42:48 pm »

jimmy throw the invite out man. im sure a few of us local boys will make the ride to catch some swine!!! i would`nt mind seeing fred work
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 06:18:44 pm by BIG CHRIS » Logged

Dogs hit the ground noses down! That's how we roll...
jimmy_creed
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2011, 12:31:32 pm »

all you got to do is head to wolfe city we are hunting with dogs or guns nearly every night
txhogsanddogs
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2011, 12:20:58 pm »

all you got to do is head to wolfe city we are hunting with dogs or guns nearly every night

I'm for the dog hunt!  I'm ready whenever!  Smiley 

Proud TDHA Member!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: