October 06, 2024, 07:28:06 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: she went from silent to open!!!???!!!  (Read 1963 times)
J Carroll
Catch Dog

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2011, 08:05:48 am »

A buddy and I went hunting last night and we struck pigs twice at two different places. Both times my dog opened a bunch while trailing and while trying to stop these pigs. I've had her for about 5 months and she never opened at all when I first got her unless she was looking at a pig. Last night these pigs were runners and I think part of the reason they could not shut them down is because of her running her mouth. I am so pi$$ed right now and don't know what to do. Any ideas about how to shut her up without ruining her?

Thanks,
Jeff
skunkhounds
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 08:24:14 am »

well theres going to be lots of guys tell ya it dont matter that a dog is open on trail that it dont push the hog but it does you seen it fist hand sounds like .once a dog starts opening on track  it most likely wont stop  i had a gyp i cought lots of hogs with until she started opening up on track then it was just lots of long races needless to say she aint on my feed bill anymore

Let's make a round
txhogsanddogs
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 08:35:42 am »

Did she open up after the bay and they started running? 

Proud TDHA Member!
J Carroll
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 08:42:03 am »

The first time she left the hood silent and didn't bark until she was in the woods, so not sure if she was on there butt when she started barking then. The second time she left the hood barking and didnt shut up for a long ways.
T-Bob Parker
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 08:47:15 am »

She'll be fine if she was any good to begin with. After the hogs been jumped, who care if she got a marching band playing smoke on the water, he knows he's being chased.

How do yall explain dogs catching a hog, then rolling out to the next one, if barking makes hogs run shouldn't the whole sounder be miles away?

Keep her in the woods often, if you don't feel confident in her work ethic, cull.

Windows Down, Waylon Up.
T-Bob Parker
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 08:50:35 am »

You posted before me, I change my mind, if she's leaving the hood already barking I wouldn't give her many more chances, that's just too dang annoying and the other dogs run to her thinking she's found one

Windows Down, Waylon Up.
txhogsanddogs
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 08:55:23 am »

You posted before me, I change my mind, if she's leaving the hood already barking I wouldn't give her many more chances, that's just too dang annoying and the other dogs run to her thinking she's found one

x2, thats not any good.  There going to have a head start on you for sure.  I thought you were saying after they break she opened.  I change my thoughts also.  Cull, can't break that out of them. 

Proud TDHA Member!
J Carroll
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 09:13:45 am »

T-Bob, that's why I am so mad about her being open. She has a great work ethic. I love everything else about the gyp.
Miller Lite
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 09:21:41 am »

x2, thats not any good.  There going to have a head start on you for sure.  I thought you were saying after they break she opened.  I change my thoughts also.  Cull, can't break that out of them. 

I agree I hunted with an ol boy one time swore up an down all his dogs were trash broke an silent ... i took them into my lease that damn dog never shut up an we had about 3 deer races ... my dogs come back scared chitless lookin at my like it wasn't us it wasn't us lol only thing i like open is my coondogs my pig dogs better shut up an not talk unless they are telling the truth

Can you skin griz. pilgrim
J Carroll
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 09:27:13 am »

No room for exaguration, I guess, in this topic. She left the hood, ran about 25 yards out in front of the truck, through the bar ditch and up to the fence. she initially started barking when trying to find a hole to get through in the fence. I am assuming the hogs were not too far from the fence.
TexasHogDogs
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 09:40:52 am »

You positive she was not running a deer?  Lots of times a dog is silent on pigs and open when chasing a deer!

The older I get the less Stupidity I can stand !
hoghunterdfw
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 09:46:12 am »

Is your dog part hound?? I have seen half hounds that were completely silent for the the first 3-4 years of their life and suddenly open up on track one day out of the blue.  Well since that day it hasnt stopped opening up, and I have heard a lot of people tell me thats a risk with any dog thats part hound... that it might one day just start running open and wont start once it starts. I say get rid of it and get you another dog.
NathanDoss
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 10:07:39 am »

Was this her first time out in a while? I'd give her another chance...
hoghunter71409
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2011, 11:18:12 am »

I would keep working this dog.  She is only 5 months old and she may have just been very excited.  I like my hounds to open on track; but i would not tolerate them opening in the box or on the hood....nor wood I tolerate this from my silent cur dogs.  At 5 months old, this behavior is correctable and you would not ruin her by putting a shock collar on her.  As soon as she opens on the hood I would nail her and let her know that behavior is not acceptable.  You won't ruin her by shocking her when she barks on the hood.
J Carroll
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2011, 11:54:30 am »

SHE IS NOT OPENING ON THE HOOD. SHE IS A 3 Y/O GYP. I HAVE HAD HER FOR 5 MONTHS. IF SHE DOES OPEN ON THE GROUND ON PIGS, DO YOU GUYS THINK BUMPING HER WITH A SHOCK COLLAR WOULD HURT ANYTHING.
T-Bob Parker
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2011, 11:58:17 am »

NEVER KNOW UNTIL YOU TRY. I THINK YES, BUT HAVE BEEN WRONG BEFORE.

Windows Down, Waylon Up.
halfbreed
Hog Doom

MR. Whitten

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2011, 12:57:23 pm »

what are you panicing for ? sounds like she just had a bad night and was overly excited . have you had her out since and she did it again ?? till she starts to open every time out i would not panic just take her back out and after a few trips she still does it then worry if you don't like open dogs  what breed of dog is she ? put up a picture . if she stays open we might work somethin out . i'll use her to get the hogs that come up to my back fence WHILE THE DOGS ARE GOING NUTS BARKING .!!!!

hattak at ofi piso

469-658-2534
J Carroll
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2011, 02:10:15 pm »

http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k623/starfallon2002/?action=view&current=6028d912.jpg&evt=user_media_share

J Carroll
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2011, 02:23:13 pm »

I guess I'm panicing because I'm new to all this and I don't want an open mouth dog. She ran a deer the other night and that was the first time she had ran a deer since I had her and the first time she had ran open mouthed for that matter. She jumped off the hood for a deer lastnight also but I had a shock collar on her and I hammered her for that and she quit immediatly. So running a deer is not totally out of the question but they did come off the hood at a heavily traveled hog crossing. She is a BMC. I couldn't figure out how to post the pic so you have to click on the link.
J Carroll
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2011, 02:25:02 pm »

Nathan, It was about her third time out in about a month and a half or two.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: