September 22, 2024, 02:45:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Florida cur, Cracker cur, Southern Cur, Florida hog hunting in general history?  (Read 51468 times)
crackerc
Alpha Dog

Monkey....gone but never forgotten! RIP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: December 26, 2012, 07:45:15 pm »

Saw this thread pop up again and thought  would post a pic of my pups just to show the Fla cur dogs can be pretty much any color. Unlike a lot of strains of cur dogs (I won't call them breeds) they haven't been breed for a certain color. I have seen Fla cur dogs in about every color you can imagine. Just depends on what was crossed in them and when, and the breeders preferences. I like the ringneck dogs myself, and a lot of the old Fla cur dogs came ringneck and pied (like the spotted pup). You don't see as many nowadays as many people are trying to breed them all a certain color. I have always said I don't think a GOOD dog can be a bad color......unless maybe its blue spotted...... Afro

Pups at one week

Pups at two weeks...they are big for their age but there are only three pups in this litter.

Florida cur dogs for almost half a century....now I know I am old!!
BA-IV
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 26, 2012, 08:20:18 pm »

That pieded dog is gonna be a looker  Wink
crackerc
Alpha Dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: December 26, 2012, 08:26:13 pm »

It's not your usual yellow dog that's for sure!!  Be easy to spot in the woods too! Grin

Just wish it was a female!!!

Shotgun wg
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 26, 2012, 09:06:31 pm »

I have watched this thread with much intrest. I think I would like these Florida dogs. Sure would be hard to get the real deal in ar tho.

Shotgun
crackerc
Alpha Dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: December 26, 2012, 09:20:29 pm »

Dug around my old photo albums and came up with some pics...some OLD ones....LOL So I took a pic of the old Polaroid pics with my phone and will try and post some of them.

This was Hub. He has been dead for over 20 years. To me, this is what a Fla cur dog should look like. Rough as a cob, used on hogs and cattle and would catch most anything. He would be my JJ female's great grandfather on her mothers side.  I would give $1,000 to have him back....just to breed!

A couple pics of colored pups. This litter was born about 20 years ago. Hub would be their grandfather, on the mothers side. A dog named Tip was their sire.  Out of 10 pups, 5 were black and white pied, one black & tan and the others were red or yellow and all had some white on them. Probably the best litter I ever raised. My old Dixie dogs mother came from this litter.

Pups a little older.

Noah
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 26, 2012, 10:20:29 pm »

Yessir... that Hub dog represents... Very nice pic Mark

Welcome to the Gun Show

Noah Metzger 352 316 8005
warrent423
Alpha Dog

Florida Cracker

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 27, 2012, 08:40:57 am »

Mark, are those 3 pups spoken for.

Catchin hogs cracker style
crackerc
Alpha Dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: December 27, 2012, 11:30:27 am »

Yes sir, these pups have been spoken for since before the breeding. In fact, I needed about 10 more pups for people that wanted them. I am keeping one pup, so will see how they do.

Circle S kennels
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 28, 2012, 09:22:02 am »

This is my Tar Baby gyp out of marks (Monkey x J.J) cross, she is a year and a half and really turning on, she has been striking her own and holding them there till another dog gets to her. She is on the shorter range side but that is how I have trained her as I only walk hunt. She will stay out around 100 yes continually hunting and check back in every 10 mins or so unless she strikes then you won't see her until she is bayed.i can't wait until she is completely finished, believe she is going to be a real decent dog! Thanks again mark for allowing me to raise one of your dogs

Circle S kennels
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 28, 2012, 09:37:15 am »

This is my tusk dog, he is out of some local ( Citrus County) cow dogs, he is about 8 years old now. He has struck and caught more hogs than I can count! He was a very very rough dog until about 2 or 3 years ago. As a young dog when he would strike a hog he would yip one time and when you heard that the hog would be squealing seconds after! He could anchor any hog he got on by himself and hold it there until we go there. Now that he is older when he strikes one he stays gritty enough to keep it stopped but won't catch bigger ones until I get there then I can tell him to catch and he will long enough for me to get my hands on it, then he will roll on if there are other hogs around! He is a real decent dog!

Circle S kennels
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 28, 2012, 09:42:48 am »

These are some pups from an accidental breeding out of my tusk x tar baby cross

yelladog0300
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 28, 2012, 09:54:37 am »

how do i go about gettin a fla curr pup?? ive been asking around for dang near a year and cant find any .. if you know of anyone on here or around your are give me a pm on here i would really love to have one supper bad

if a dog dont run it ... i dont hunt it !
Shotgun wg
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 28, 2012, 10:45:12 am »

how do i go about gettin a fla curr pup?? ive been asking around for dang near a year and cant find any .. if you know of anyone on here or around your are give me a pm on here i would really love to have one supper bad

I am just learning about these dogs myself to this extent. They are definately a dog that one day I would like to see and have one do their thing. Getting one here would be nearly impossible without knowing someone and a long drive.

Shotgun
crackerc
Alpha Dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: December 28, 2012, 11:30:58 am »

Junior it looks like you got a LOT of color out of that litter! There was a guy that got the black & tan pup from that litter and he posted a pic of it on her a while back. Haven't seen anymore after that one post though.

Tar Baby looks good and glad to hear you like her. She is a Monkey x JJ offspring and the pups I posted a pic of above are Otis x JJ offspring. JJ was always on the ROUGH side and thats how she wound up getting her jaw broken....trying to catch a no eared hog that Monkey had bayed. I didn't know the hog didn't have ears when I sent JJ to the bay...........

Keep track of some of those pups and let me know how they turn out.

Circle S kennels
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 28, 2012, 11:43:56 am »

Toyota Todd is the only one not local that has one... He got lucky! I have kept one pied female and a couple buddy's have the other 4, I had to cull 2 at 4 months old because they were to aggressive towards me and my kids, they got to were they would bite the tar out of me anytime I tried to handle them! It was a shame because they were my picks! They are 6 months old now, and I took mine to the woods and ran here with her sire and she was ranging around 200-300 yards with my tusk dog. He usually don't hunt that that far out but I think that pup was pushing him! She should turn out pretty decent I hope
yelladog0300
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 28, 2012, 01:02:53 pm »

I am just learning about these dogs myself to this extent. They are definately a dog that one day I would like to see and have one do their thing. Getting one here would be nearly impossible without knowing someone and a long drive.
yea i know .. it would be pretty neat to have one tho

if a dog dont run it ... i dont hunt it !
Melonhead
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 28, 2012, 05:49:10 pm »

Most people with good dogs in Florida, especially the old timers won't give up or sell a dog to a person they don't know. Sometimes they get down right defensive if you even ask about their dogs.
crackerc
Alpha Dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: December 28, 2012, 07:14:40 pm »

Junior you should have called me before you culled the mean dogs...they would fit right in here at my place....... Grin

Noah
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 28, 2012, 09:33:05 pm »

Most people with good dogs in Florida, especially the old timers won't give up or sell a dog to a person they don't know. Sometimes they get down right defensive if you even ask about their dogs.

Yep...  Grin    .... from personal experience... you want a dog out of this type of person's stock... you have to learn to think like them... I have a "delicate" relationship with just this type... if for ONE SECOND they thought I might sell what we produce, I would be cut off... as well, if I know someone has a prepotency to sell dogs, they will never get a dog from me.

Most of the people I trade dogs with are well out of my area and there is no overlap of territory... mutual respect of control of blood, breedings are agreed upon, progeny is kept and the rest culled unless agreed upon otherwise.

Many other factors that do not have transparent reasons...

The fact of the matter is... I know most every high end FL Cur breeder...  there are not many great lines left.   I do believe that the hog hunters are doing more to preserve this type of dog than the dayworkers...  I could point out many, many examples

Welcome to the Gun Show

Noah Metzger 352 316 8005
hansonw
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 29, 2012, 01:22:37 am »

Here is two that came from Mr. Ralph

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: