September 25, 2024, 12:25:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bassett hounds?  (Read 1960 times)
prg2010
Catch Dog

View Profile
« on: December 28, 2011, 07:55:46 pm »

Has anyone ever heard of or know of anyone using Bassett hounds to run hogs? I was talking to someone the other day and they were asking! To me they seem like they would be slower and more clumsy but I don't know I have never owned one!
T-Bob Parker
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 08:12:21 pm »

Maybe on ground hogs, but even then.  Undecided

I dont think theres a basset hound left alive who could dream of catching up to any boar, any where. In reality I dont think there's ever been one who could do any better than stumbling across the occasional pile of turds where a hog once was. It would take a special hog (who rides the short bus to the feed trough) and a very special basset (on some real good crystal) to have a basset catch up to a hog.

Windows Down, Waylon Up.
J.Prince
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 08:19:33 pm »

That's good stuff T-Bob Cheesy

The few I have been around were just slow and goofy I doubt even in their hunting glory days they wouldn't have been able to stop a hog. And definitely not now what hunt was there has more than likely been bred out of them.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
curdogs3006
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 08:56:11 pm »

Maybe on ground hogs, but even then.  Undecided

I dont think theres a basset hound left alive who could dream of catching up to any boar, any where. In reality I dont think there's ever been one who could do any better than stumbling across the occasional pile of turds where a hog once was. It would take a special hog (who rides the short bus to the feed trough) and a very special basset (on some real good crystal) to have a basset catch up to a hog.
x2

GOIN AFTER THE BIG ONE "COME ON"
SwampHunter
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 09:01:16 pm »

i had one that would run rabbits well walk rabbits when i was about 10
prg2010
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 09:06:11 pm »

Terry! Haahhah that's what I was thinkin but I didn't wanna say anything about something I didn't know about!
halfbreed
Hog Doom

MR. Whitten

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 09:22:22 pm »

there are still some good hunting lines being bred but regardless . they ain't got what it takes to bay up a hog . but i did see a sweet looking basset walker cross i thought about trying out just for grins .

hattak at ofi piso

469-658-2534
Bedias92
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 01:28:04 am »

A good friend of mine had a half beagle and half basset hound he got to his black mouth cur gyp they came out a lookin like lil short curs we called them B.B.C'S short for Beagle Basset Curs lol they were finding there own hogs at 6mnths old
Yeller
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 05:50:49 am »

I hear Bassets work real good on Feral Potbelly Pigs!   Wink

Game Bred Texas Raised!
SCHitemHard
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 06:54:01 am »

I hear Bassets work real good on Feral Potbelly Pigs!   Wink

dachsunds are good for them too Wink

theres a video on youtube of bassets baying a pig in a pen ill try and find it again

Matt H
Cleveland, OH
UNDERDOG
Global Moderator
Hog Catching Machine

I always tell the truth.....even when I lie!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 04:38:49 pm »

They prolly are too slow for hogs but thetre is a small group of folks who try and breed them for rabbit hounds and they do well at it (some) when we ran little pack beagles a good friend who I got my Ch Copperhead dog from as a pup had a hell of a gyp by the name of "Wld Ch JRK Bunn Troubles" and she could hang with the fastest beagles around...no chit and he had some others who were prety handy as well but they are few and far between.Actually I don't think NKC/ARHA has a basset division any longer,I think they have the american hunting basset assn or something along those lines..

True story...when Jacob started fooling with working bassets there were no divisions for them in the competitions in ARHA/NKC so he entered Bunny troubles in the world hunt (her world title came from beating bassets) as she had quallified in open comps to make the world hunt but the rules were loose and she met the heighth requirement (just not the lenght ha ha ) anyhow she won the world hunt against only beagles and the world hunt brings out no no bs real deal rabbit hounds...after that they made a basset division...

Bryant Mcdonald
New Caney, Tx.
936-537-2537

www.facebook.com/Bonedigger.kennels.
shawn
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 06:43:43 pm »

I had a basset when I was a kid and early adult that was a certified stray cat murderer, even after going blind!!  Shocked

But hogs?  Cheesy Naw I don't see it happening...

T-Bob Parker
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2011, 06:48:20 pm »

Mix one with a Doberman and you might have something.  Cheesy

Windows Down, Waylon Up.
Caughtandhobbled
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2011, 06:58:16 am »

Well here we go... A little known fact... Basset Hounds are perfect hog dogs for a fat, old, tired fellow like me. They're close range and I never have to worry about getting out run by my dogs. Heck, Ryan I told you not to tell everyone that I've traded my good dogs the the Hound breed:)

Happy New Year to all!!!

Bennie     
  <><
hogdogger98
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2011, 07:14:16 pm »

I have a friend of mine that is 75 and has raised Russian hogs and raised redbones for the past 25 or 30 years well he owned a basset hound male that bred one of his redbone female, they were some of the prettiest red basset hounds you ever saw and they are hog baying fools. The male basset wood find hogs but if one ever turned to fight it was over he was going to the truck.
prg2010
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2011, 07:33:08 pm »

Well here we go... A little known fact... Basset Hounds are perfect hog dogs for a fat, old, tired fellow like me. They're close range and I never have to worry about getting out run by my dogs. Heck, Ryan I told you not to tell everyone that I've traded my good dogs the the Hound breed:)

Happy New Year to all!!!

Bennie I kept our secret you just let it out!!!
TedH71
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2011, 09:24:09 am »

European Bassets are still bred for hunting and have more leg to them...same thing with dachshunds in Europe. Also there are other Basset breeds that have a lot more leg and look different. They are hairy fellows.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: