September 21, 2024, 09:49:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rub trees?  (Read 1136 times)
JDJP
Strike Dog

View Profile
« on: January 15, 2012, 07:07:12 pm »

So I found a good pine tree recently. It had big deep gouges on it from a boar and was rubbed all smooth.
I have seen bunches of them before, but it got me wondering.

Has anyone ever seen a boar go to town on a rub tree? They must be hitting it pretty hard, trying to get SAP to come out to rub on. I'd like to see some video of a big boar chopping on a pine.

Also was thinking, people ask me why bar a hog? and I am guessing not wanting to mess with a rub tree must play a part in a bar hog getting big teeth. Seems more likely they break there teeth on trees more than fighting?

I don't know, just wondering what you guys thought?

Dylan
OCD
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 07:14:00 pm »

maybe marking their territory. just a thought

Lighting your way with Kelley's K-Light!
1-800-757-4965
www.kelleysk-lightsupply.com
BIG BEN
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 08:36:10 pm »

maybe marking their territory. just a thought
X2,

hunt em hard, give em no excuses, and cull harder!!!!!
"Rather have a sister in a whore house than spots on a dog"
"Pretty is as pretty does"- BigO
bullet72
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 08:41:44 pm »

i saw several trees other day they kinda in a line thru the woods rubbed and cut all up tallest marks were about 40 inchs the cool thing was slobbers were dried pretty thick on most of them seen lots of these sent posts  over the years but never that many in one row plus the dry slobbers. just thought id share that.
djhogdogger
Hog Doom

Dinah Psencik from Dayton Tx.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 10:27:49 am »

Ive only seen trees that hogs rub up against. Never seen tusk marks on one. They like to use them as back scratchers around our parts. I would like to see a tree where a boar cut it with his tusks.

A television can insult your intelligence but nothing rubs it in like a computer.
BA-IV
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 12:35:04 pm »

I'll try and get some pictures of some when I get a chance.  Them boars love the light poles around here, and you he's decent sized when the rubs are waist high or taller.
bullet72
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 08:17:56 pm »

if i can figure out how to post pics on here ill get some its pretty common to see tusked trees around here
smarlowe
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 08:23:06 pm »

All of my rubbed trees have tusk marks, I thought that was normal although I wasn't sure why they hook em. I have some high ones too
Cutter Bay Kennels
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 08:30:46 pm »

Not the coolest or best, but some I had easily accessable ony phone

I should point out that John is pretty tall.

"To me it is not always about the game you caught, but the memories you can't let go of.   Wink  " Josh Farnsworth
yellowdog
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 09:52:41 pm »

They like to get after creosote poles as well. I always go check the poles on a new place to find their favorite ones to rub. Have seen some trees/poles that had been tusked and some that had only been rubbed. Sure don't know why that is but would be interesting to know why.
TShelly
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 10:14:38 pm »

It had always been my understanding they cut the trees to reveal the tree sap, which they then rub all over their body to keep the bugs off

Get ahead dog!
djhogdogger
Hog Doom

Dinah Psencik from Dayton Tx.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 10:27:45 pm »

Josh, the trees around here look just like that but I always thought it was just wear from years of hogs rubbing on them. I never knew that they were doing that with their tusks....I learn something new every day.

A television can insult your intelligence but nothing rubs it in like a computer.
cajunl
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 07:46:23 pm »

I think the cut for the sap and to mark there territory. I have seen boar hogs with good teeth in a pen cut the posts around his pen. Also if you watch them cut a tree/post. Most of the cut is with there whetters.
2Brights
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 08:20:26 pm »

I have seen a large boar hitting a pine on our property with his tusk and urinating at same time  walked away came back in about fifteen min popin his jaws and then rubbed the same tree so I think there is some truth to every ones thoughts . Territory marking and natural insect repel
firemedic
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2012, 07:44:27 pm »

I always figured it was kinda like a scrape/licking branch that deer use. Figured they have some gland of sorts on their face like deer have to mark territory or whatever. I just figured that the gouges in the bark were more or less done by the boar rubbing so hard on the tree that his tusks cut the bark. Just my thoughts....they do that frequently around here.

It's easy to judge the character of a man,....by how he treats those that can do nothing for him.
ARhogdogs
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2012, 08:52:58 pm »

tshelly hit it dead on. the cut marks are for that, someone else said something about seeing slobber, and piss. thats just like a buck deer makin scrapes and lickin branches. i walk hunted hogs for years before i got dogs learned everything from old timers around these parts and did a lot of research on hogs and their actions and movement. thats when i got hooked. such aan intelligent and elusive animal. gettin adrenaline pumpin just thinkin about it, back to topic, cuts in pines are to get sap flowing, they like the cresole poles
 help control those mites and ticks.

what everyone is missing is all the hogs rubbing especially big boars are rubbing to create calluses or however u spell it, also called a shield, which is to help them protect theirselves when fighting. just like our hands get rougher from hard labor they get it from rubbing.
ARhogdogs
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2012, 08:58:17 pm »

phone froze up dont see my post sorry if this is a double.

they rub the trees to creat a calluse cant spell that, to protect theirselves when fighting, they cut pines and other trees to help with bugs like tshelly said.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: