September 21, 2024, 10:24:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ruff dogs what u think  (Read 1705 times)
jalston
Catch Dog

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2012, 08:51:30 pm »

started out with baydogs mild gritt with catch dog.....did a lot of running the pigs but very little and i mean little pork on table. we run as many as most but caught less than anybody!             changed direction finally got a pack that we catch pigs 9 out of 10 times.very ruff bay-catch dogs and a rcd   all currs  or curr cross   

they are or was all ear dogs   the last 5 out of 7 pigs they have killed before we could get to them they are catching legs and if pig goes down they are tearing its stomach out.... gutting it.   we like to catch them alive we sell them to help offset expences....  my question   am i letting or teaching my dogs bad catching habits ? 
if so what do i do

WISH A PIG  HAD 4 EARS
                                                                                   thanks jim
T-Bob Parker
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 09:05:31 pm »

Well, first if they're catching hogs successfully, then congratulations, you are doing something well. Now, let me say as for me, I wouldn't put up with it at all. If you know who your number 1 dog is, try running him solo, if that dont work, give him 1 assistant. Only 2ears anyway.

Once again, this is just me personally, but, I won't put up with a hog chewer.

Windows Down, Waylon Up.
Purebreedcolt
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 09:07:26 pm »

Sounds just noah this is why he only turns one or 2 out at a time cut back a dog or 2
3-Bdogs
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 09:08:08 pm »

Sounds like your not getting to the bay fast enough and one thing to remeber about rough dogs is if its a smaller hog u probably won't save it or Maybe u have to many dogs on the ground at once there could be lots of factors why your hogs are getting tore up bad jmo lots of old dogmen would cull for leg chewing or even catching period

You goin to do somthing or just stand there and bleed (tombstone)
Poncho
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 09:12:27 pm »

dont no if i this will really answer your ? but im fresh outa high school ben running my own dogs for the past 3 years now and i have come to the conclusion that if your hogs are running get you 1 or 2 dogs that arent necessarily ruff but no how to put the brakes on 1, I myself only run 2 dogs on the ground at a time each will get ruff enough to stop 1 but back off when he turns to fight. Although, wen i first started i of course figured the more dogs quicker the hog would be forced to stop ( not always true) more dogs mean more pressure, but i think if i was in your shoes id cut my numbers down and see if it works for you.
Peachcreek
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 09:15:49 pm »

lol..."wish a pig had 4 ears" i like that.

www.peachcreekcatahoulas.com

Victor dog food dealer. Cleveland Texas
Black Hog 69
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 09:16:02 pm »

What  ya need 2 do is figure out which 1 or 1ns is doing the chewing and muzzle em or u need 2 run less dogs on the ground   I got 1 find dog (not gritty) and2 help dogs which want put teeth on hog till bulldog catches I sell every hog we catch    

If ya cant catchem alive leave em alone !!!!!!!!
T-Bob Parker
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 09:22:52 pm »

What  ya need 2 do is figure out which 1 or 1ns is doing the chewing and muzzle em or u need 2 run less dogs on the ground   I got 1 find dog (not gritty) and2 help dogs which want put teeth on hog till bulldog catches I sell every hog we catch   

I have suggested that a person or two try a muzzle on a dog in a pen or controlled setting, but I really have a problem with running a dog in the woods with a muzzle. If the dog dont get smart and develop some self control real quick its going to get gone.

Windows Down, Waylon Up.
RyanTBH
Hog Doom

www.texasboarhounds.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 09:29:59 pm »

I agree with running two gritty strike dogs. (and these dogs normally wont catch anything bigger than 2-250) I like to have one good short range gritty looser help dog and two CDs (one smaller and fast with lots of bottom, and one bigger anchor). You never know what you are gona get on out there. You don't always need all the power, but it's good to have it. I deff would not put up with chewy dogs though. Gritty is one thing, but I want them to not chew, and head out after we get there and the hog is caught. It is always fun to let a good up and coming pup run with the pack too. But each piece if land may require a different kind of pack. Jmo

Do work, make chit happen, and never stop moving forward.
TexasHogDogs
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 09:32:55 pm »

I would imagine you are running to many dogs on the ground at one time if they are that ruff .

The older I get the less Stupidity I can stand !
T-Bob Parker
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 09:37:46 pm »

I agree with running two gritty strike dogs. (and these dogs normally wont catch anything bigger than 2-250) I like to have one good short range gritty looser help dog and two CDs (one smaller and fast with lots of bottom, and one bigger anchor). You never know what you are gona get on out there. You don't always need all the power, but it's good to have it. I deff would not put up with chewy dogs though. Gritty is one thing, but I want them to not chew, and head out after we get there and the hog is caught. It is always fun to let a good up and coming pup run with the pack too. But each piece if land may require a different kind of pack. Jmo

What do you mean by bottom in regards to a catch dog? Same term/ definition as bottom in a cur or hound?

Windows Down, Waylon Up.
pigrig
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 03:49:40 am »

I would imagine you are running to many dogs on the ground at one time if they are that ruff .
  my very thought ...so how many dogs are u running at once

new zealand dogger
blakebh
Boar Slayer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 07:46:08 am »

What do you mean by bottom in regards to a catch dog? Same term/ definition as bottom in a cur or hound?

I think he means one that will stick with the strike dogs if the hog breaks. Not always a good thing but have caught a bunch of runners thanks to my bulldog sticking in on the chase.

T-Bob Parker
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 08:14:47 am »

Oh. That's wat I figured, but just making sure.

Windows Down, Waylon Up.
muleman
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 08:39:22 am »

In my opinion, most people have too many dogs on the ground at once. I really like two dogs at a time. One of which that will catch when the catch dog does. I like the idea of not leading a bulldog and using a rcd...but i dont want them to catch when im a half mile out. If you have that many rough dogs on the ground, and there aint but two ears...they are catching somewhere. Run em in pairs and rotate.

LOPIN MY MULE AND SCRATCHIN MY ASS!!!
jalston
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 09:48:32 am »

i'm running 2 strick dogs and 2 help dogs.      i started this because of split bays....i used to run 3 with a catch but it seemed like they went in 2 or 3 dirrections and they could not shut them down  maybe i need to go back to catch dog and run in pairs as suggested.     Jim
Bigdog
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 10:05:54 am »

most people run to many dogs and they put to much pressure on the hogs.dont know why n e body would lead a bulldog wen there so easy to train to follow u,i never lead one to much work.
RyanTBH
Hog Doom

www.texasboarhounds.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 10:08:11 am »

I think he means one that will stick with the strike dogs if the hog breaks. Not always a good thing but have caught a bunch of runners thanks to my bulldog sticking in on the chase.
that is exactly what I mean. Jane is a navy seal!!! She will run a mile to stay behind the dogs and be there to catch! I'd love to see her and Baus put a litter out. They would be unstoppable. IMO

RyanTBH
Hog Doom

www.texasboarhounds.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2012, 10:17:23 am »

And we don't always take that many, that's just my ideal set up... Just like someone said, of you have split bays, you have two catch dogs. We lead ours in, but you have to have a good handle on em do they don't wear themselves out getting to the bay. We normally will wait to about 100yrds or so before we cut em loose. But that's just us... And our hogs dont get too torn up. Seems that most people hunt differently.

blakebh
Boar Slayer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2012, 10:34:02 am »

most people run to many dogs and they put to much pressure on the hogs.dont know why n e body would lead a bulldog wen there so easy to train to follow u,i never lead one to much work.

I really think it depends on the dog as far as following you! My bulldog has way to much drive to the point she would go hunting and be somewhat rangey if I would let her and has found her own hog several times on bays that broke. Of course this is not ideal because she is all bite and no bark and would get herself hurt or worse on the right hog.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: