September 21, 2024, 10:25:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dog is inhaling his food  (Read 1071 times)
mkite
Bay Dog

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2012, 09:26:37 pm »

I have a dog that i have had for about a month now who absolutley inhales his food.  He is fed alone so there is no fear of any of my other dogs getting to his food, and he has eaten this way since i got him.  I figured he would slow down as my other dogs have but he doesnt.  Also I believe this is the reason he wont put weight on,  was a little poor when i got him, he is being fed 4 cups of victor puppy which is recomended for a 60 lb dog and he weighs 54lbs.  Any help would be appreciated,  thanks

Cut 'em loose boys
hogdoggintn
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 09:32:08 pm »

Place a smaller bowl upside down in his bowl. This will help slow down his eating.

Other than that, we ain't nothing just good ole boys.
Peachcreek
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 09:39:23 pm »

he might just be real hungry... try feeding him 8 cups Wink I have one dog that will look really poor with 4 cups he gets 8 now and looks good. some dogs just need more feed than others.

www.peachcreekcatahoulas.com

Victor dog food dealer. Cleveland Texas
Heaven Sent Kennel
Alpha Dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 09:42:13 pm »

I have a couple that do that just because I left them together til they were 6 months old and they got to fightin' over food and I got one that still does it. The other I've had to sit there and pull his head up and pet him then let him eat a lil. Works if you got the time but I should have seperated them a lil sooner but that may be your problem is how he was raised up. most the other dogs have been by theirselves since they were young so they don't get in too big of a hurry but usually eat in around 5 mins.

If ya ain't touchin' 'em ya ain't close enuff!!!
PEEWEE
Strike Dog

if you got hogs I can catchum

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 10:04:47 pm »

Place a smaller bowl upside down in his bowl. This will help slow down his eating.
that works good or big rocks in the bowl works and you can pour water in the bowl also makes them have to slow down when they eat
mkite
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 10:15:46 pm »

of my 6 dogs 5 of them have been together since they were little, and about a month ago when they hit 6 months i started tying them out to feed to stop the fighting, they have all slowed down their eating, this dog is new to my pack so I am still learning him as his is still learning me, I am gonna try the smaller bowl and rocks thing first, sure hate to have to pour more feed to him if I dont need to, when he craps it is coming out like rabbit turds which makes me think he isnt digesting it well because he eats is so fast without chewing, which in turn would keep him from putting on weight.  If you look at my other dogs they are fat compared to him and they are all within 6 to 7 lbs of him and being fed the same amount. He is supposed to be 2 but i think he is more like 18 months, the rest of my dogs are a year old or less

Cut 'em loose boys
SCHitemHard
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 06:58:08 am »

put some water in there, i had a collie that did that and my ol man put a baseball in his bowl

Matt H
Cleveland, OH
East tx hog hunter
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 08:12:47 am »

Put his food in a flat dish or pan(cookie sheet or something like that) so that he can't get big bites of food at once, sounds like he had to fight for food before

HUNT HARD or GO HOME
bird
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 10:08:14 am »

that works good or big rocks in the bowl works and you can pour water in the bowl also makes them have to slow down when they eat

x2
RyanTBH
Hog Doom

www.texasboarhounds.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 04:46:11 pm »

Put his food in a flat dish or pan(cookie sheet or something like that) so that he can't get big bites of food at once, sounds like he had to fight for food before
x3 flat pan works... they have to move it around to finish it.

Do work, make chit happen, and never stop moving forward.
pigrig
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 05:31:21 pm »

yes i believe this dog has been coke addict Wink

new zealand dogger
ujustneverknow
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 07:25:05 pm »

Deep narrow bowl works as well like coffee can but Lil deeper may be better I had one do same thing so I used a piece of pipe to eat out of and it worked well

Bad day n the woods is better than a good day at work!
Bino9905
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 09:27:01 pm »

I had two dogs that would do that regardless of how much I fed,
two or 6 cups, would disapear.
The only real danger is if you feed them when they are tired or if they are tall dogs and have to bend down too much, they can get bloat and die.

Mine had concrete kennels so just put it on ground and spread it a little to slow them or put balls or rocks in their bowl.

The speed in what he eats is not affecting his weight, that should be a different issue.
driller1987
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2012, 11:05:51 am »

Put a brick in his bowl

Get them back legs or get out of the way!!!!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: