September 22, 2024, 07:31:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Am I Smart or .....  (Read 687 times)
KevinN
Hog Doom

View Profile
« on: March 22, 2012, 10:12:18 pm »

Am I just lucky? I got into doggin in 2000. But I haven't been in it for 12 years straight, just kinda in and out. I guess total doggin time of probably 5 to 6 years. A year or so under the tutelage of a man named Bud Harding, in my opinion a very knowledgable dog man who I still go to for answers. Not really sure if he spends any time on the forum or not. I spent Another couple years with Robert Whitten or "halfbreed", he is on this forum. I also go to him for answers.

When I first got into doggin I researched the breeds typically used in dog hunting and decided to go with the catahoula. More research led me Bud. I didn't know him but I felt good about him and that's where I got my first dog. Bud was nice enough to let me tag along on some hunts. I asked questions, payed attention and learned everything I could. Was I lucky to meet Bud? Yes! I was also smart enough to learn everything I could from him and I figured a guy like that was a good guy to get a dog from. That's smart.

Around that same time I bought a yellow dog from a guy I didn't know. Not bashing the yellow dog, wasn't his fault but he brought parvo to my yard. This was not smart! Don't buy from people you don't know!

Looking to bring some outside blood into my yard I found a listing on the Internet for guided hog hunts using dogs. I wasn't looking for a guided hunt, I was looking for pups. Just so happens the guy (Marty Capers) had some. I drove up and put a deposited on two. I also ended up buying a young male while I was there, ended up being the best dog I owned to date. Was that Luck? Probably. Did I know Marty? No. Did I trust him? Yes. In a short time we built a rapport. I saw his dogs hunt. This was smart.

Don't remember how I located halfbreed but again, built a rapport with him, saw his dogs hunt. They were great dogs. No complaints at all. Robert is a good man and will shoot straight with you. We've had some good hunts and good times just hanging out. Did I get lucky meeting him? Probably, but I did my homework on his dogs before I bought one. This was smart.

I'm not rambling and not just trying to give my hog doggin history. I'm trying to possibly help out someone who is new to this addiction. As hard as it is to do, you have got to be patient and learn what you can about a man and his line before you decide to make a purchase. Or you can just test your luck!

Whatever the case may be, luck or not, you still have to be smart. I'm talking about money now. You can find GOOD pups ( just weaned) out there all day long for $100 to $200. If you pay more than that for a pup your not being smart. Also, you need to understand that for that kind of money and that young a pup you shouldn't expect a guarantee.

There are started dogs (6 months to a year) out there for $500 to $750. Just make sure you do your homework. You also gotta know that it may take a couple two or three weeks for the dog to settle in and actually start hunting. DON'T buy a started dog from someone you don't know unless you get good references or see the dog hunt.

I'm not gonna get into finished dogs. JMO neither should you.

I'm sure I've been lucky with this sport but I've been smart too. There are people out there willing to help. Be observant, be respectful, be patient and everything will work out.

"Let's talk some philosophy"
tnhillbilly
Hog Doom

WWT Official scorer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 10:51:15 pm »

How much did Robert pay you!  HAHA