October 09, 2024, 02:33:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How old until you expect a pup to bay?  (Read 1916 times)
levibarcus
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« on: March 31, 2012, 10:00:37 pm »

A couple weeks ago I bought 2 pups out of some cur dogs that are highly talked about. They are supposed to be 4.5 mo old. They won't bay a hog even with another dog baying, and when the pig was caught and squeeling they ran and hid. Do they need some time to grow up, or should I cull them? All of the other dogs I have started were baying hard by this point. I have tried to get them to bay anything, cows, horses, pigs, etc, and they won't give them a second look. I don't want to wait until they are 2 yr old to decide if they are going to work or not.

But seek first the kingdom of God and all these things will be provided for you. Matthew 6:33
KevinN
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 10:05:53 pm »

How long have you had them? Takes a few weeks to get adjusted sometimes. They have to trust you, learn about you like you learn about them? They need to gain their confidence. Just once in the pen? If only once then they probably just need some time. I would try working them once or twice a week for at least a month before I culled, but that's just me.

"Let's talk some philosophy"
hoghunter71409
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 10:09:21 pm »

Man that is a tough question...sometimes.  When I first started, I would give a dog a year or so....man did I waste a lot of time.  If a pup doesnt show intrest between 6-9 months, I dont keep them.  Doesn't necessarily mean they are a cull, I just have expectations that a pup must meet be certain times periods.  It sounds like you've given them several opportunities.  If they run and hide like you say, that would be enough for me.  4.5 months is young, but I've seen a lot of pups that age that show a lot of interest, most bay real well from outside a pen.
dub
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 10:21:27 pm »

A dog that runs and hides is a cull to me. I am not saying give up but if I paid for them I would want my money back. If they were free a may give them a couple months. As puppies I stomp my foot and any dog that backs up is a cull. I want the pups that come forward or at least stand their ground. A dog that runs can be clipped and make someone a great pet but I ain't feeding it.

"...A man who has nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance at being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself..." John Stuart Mill
easttexasoutlaw33
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 10:30:06 pm »

All depends on the dog and how much time you want to spend with the dog. My buddy raised 2 curs that a man culled because they did several things mentioned above he just took them for 2 years with his other dogs and one day they turned on and became true long range dogs and i have yet to find a cur dog that was even in the same class with the gyp. so its all in your opinion
tnhillbilly
Hog Doom

WWT Official scorer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 10:54:00 pm »

4.5 months is still young, I would give them some time. The running and hiding thing would concern me more than not baying. But I look for dogs with that natural desire to bay anything. Sometimes its the pen. I had a plott that would knock the back out of his dog house to get away from a coon in a cage, but eat a hog or bear up in the woods. Dogs are individuals "not humans" but individual dogs and are all different.
    Im sure there have been great dogs turn on at 2-3 yrs old, but ain't no way im feeding one that long to find out.
its a judgement call that only you can make.

Powered by
* Dr.Enuf *
T-Bob Parker
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 11:23:38 pm »

Really don't have any good advice to offer other than to say that I have 2 grown, striking, hard hunting, hog hating gyps that will cower and run away from penned hogs and 1 who is totally indifferent to them, preferring to watch my eyes instead. Cut a small hog loose in front of them and see what happens

Windows Down, Waylon Up.
easttexasoutlaw33
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 09:15:56 am »

Really don't have any good advice to offer other than to say that I have 2 grown, striking, hard hunting, hog hating gyps that will cower and run away from penned hogs and 1 who is totally indifferent to them, preferring to watch my eyes instead. Cut a small hog loose in front of them and see what happens

x2 i have an old plott male same way trap pen anything but wild in the woods wont do anything will go straight to trailer to load up guess he knows its caught lol
Muddogkennels
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 09:26:51 am »

There culles !! All my jagd At 5weeks old if they don't catch a 10 lb to 15lb squeeling pig there culled ! They are breed to hunt an drive so jagds start really early ! Currs take time!
T-Bob Parker
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 09:48:51 am »

There culles !! All my jagd At 5weeks old if they don't catch a 10 lb to 15lb squeeling pig there culled ! They are breed to hunt an drive so jagds start really early ! Currs take time!

Real easy to find hogs at a baypen....

Windows Down, Waylon Up.
Muddogkennels
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012, 10:12:51 am »

Ha where do u start your pups if your number 2y curr are so good then why it take a 1 1/2year to start them. Ya its real hard to find a baypen when u don't own one  !!
KevinN
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2012, 10:18:42 am »

Dang! 5 weeks? I thought 8 weeks was early. How much does a jag weigh at 5 weeks? I wouldn't think more than a few pounds, maybe 5 at most. Am I way off? Anyhow, that is some drive there!

"Let's talk some philosophy"
makenbeans
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2012, 10:22:06 am »

4.5 month is still young and considering you just got them a few weeks it sounds like they need some time. I wouldn't cull them especially if their parents are proven!
makenbeans
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2012, 10:31:02 am »

I have a 5 month old gyp I have started her on drags, I like the way she uses her nose and covers ground when she hits the scent.
I put her on a tied up hog and she wasn't scared she just didn't know what to do with it.  That same afternoon I was walking her around in camp and she found a land tortoise she bayed the number 2 out of it. I cut her off of it after a good 10 minutes.
I also have a cur dog that when I got him Michele gave me a shoat with him and he was baying at 3 month old. 
Muddogkennels
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2012, 10:33:44 am »

2to4 lbs once there eyes open they know what they were born to do!
T-Bob Parker
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2012, 11:07:07 am »

Ha where do u start your pups if your number 2y curr are so good then why it take a 1 1/2year to start them. Ya its real hard to find a baypen when u don't own one  !!

I start mine in the real woods on real hogs. I believe you practice how you play, so I don't put my dogs in baypens cuz I don't want baypen dogs. I thought it was a bit presumptuous of a guy who runs mini terriers in a play pen to tell a man who is striving for woods dogs that his are culls.

Windows Down, Waylon Up.
hog tied
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2012, 11:14:34 am »

Get a coon and put it in a roll cage... Pups a lot of times will be earlier on a coon.. Muddog, no need to beat your chest, you're not reinventing the wheel ya know
SCHitemHard
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2012, 11:15:43 am »

I start mine in the real woods on real hogs. I believe you practice how you play, so I don't put my dogs in baypens cuz I don't want baypen dogs. I thought it was a bit presumptuous of a guy who runs mini terriers in a play pen to tell a man who is striving for woods dogs that his are culls.

alright fellas lets not blow this up. we all hunt differently, shoot i get a small pig and let it loose in front of the pups when they are 5 to 6 months and the ones that chase it are the ones i keep, enough said. yea you can baypen pups but i wouldnt do that to a older dog.

Matt H
Cleveland, OH
T-Bob Parker
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2012, 11:21:55 am »

Your right I apologize for any perceived rudeness, but it strikes a nerve to hear anyone claim to straight up tell someone to cull a dog that they don't know jack about. Moreso when some take culling seriously in the d fashioned sence, it ain't like your telling them to nuter the dog and sell it on the dog trade as a started dog. 

Windows Down, Waylon Up.
SCHitemHard
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2012, 11:27:22 am »

yea your right but it is what it is. The good man asked for advice so we all give it differently, it depends on how he wants to take it. if it was me i wouldnt cull, thats a last ditch effort. they are the right age to start but to much work will burn them and then they are worthless. 2 weeks is long enough in my eyes so he just has to find what makes them tick, somethin to get that lightswitch in their noggin to flip.

Matt H
Cleveland, OH
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: