September 22, 2024, 04:17:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: lacey dogs?  (Read 1464 times)
xpressboat87
Catch Dog

View Profile
« on: April 10, 2012, 12:34:02 pm »

Can anyone tell me about lacey dogs not really familiar with them but heard that they make good dogs I might be able to get my hands on some 3/4 lacey 1/4 bmc and was just wondering if they would make good dogs
Kid7
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 01:08:56 pm »

They make great dogs in the rite hands! They're kinda timid but they are a blast!

Seth Gillespie
cantexduck
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 02:07:17 pm »

lacy.
  Just like any dog, some are good some are crap. Very few are great.

There's a coon, nevermind, thats Buster.

"So I pawned my lacy off to my girlfriend. That should teach her to meet men off match.com"
Rich.
Purebreedcolt
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 02:54:53 pm »

Do a search of lacys you will come up with a lot.  Think texashogdogs and I will stay out of this one both of us really like them lol
Bryant
Global Moderator
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 03:54:33 pm »

Sounds like they would have a 25% chance of being good.   Grin

A truly rich man is one whose children rush to fill his arms even though his hands are empty.
TexasHogDogs
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 04:21:23 pm »

Yeah they are good dogs just same as others good and bad and different strokes for different folks .  I hear ya Purebreedcolt we both like them .

The older I get the less Stupidity I can stand !
T-Bob Parker
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 04:33:01 pm »

Sounds like they would have a 25% chance of being good.   Grin

Funny, that's what I was thinking.  Cheesy

Windows Down, Waylon Up.
xpressboat87
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 04:37:02 pm »

Ok well what do y'all like and dislike about them how are they gritty not gritty come on give a lil info on them
T-Bob Parker
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 05:26:55 pm »

I'm just playing mostly, I don't know enough about lacy dogs to have a good opinion other than the ones I've been around would rather fight than hunt.

Windows Down, Waylon Up.
cantexduck
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 08:09:54 pm »

Short range, aggressive.

There's a coon, nevermind, thats Buster.

"So I pawned my lacy off to my girlfriend. That should teach her to meet men off match.com"
Rich.
Purebreedcolt
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 09:06:25 pm »

For the most part yes shorter range but when they know pigs are around they are going to find them.  We have had anywhere from vary little bottom to ones that aint going to stop till it is shut down.  Most are from gritty to suicidal at least till you have them on some good hogs and they know they have to back up.  A down side to them is it seems to take them longer to show their potential in most instances.  Ill cull most dogs at a year a lacy especially if I like them give them a couple years.  My dad had one that was durn near worthless till she hit about 6 or so and she turned into one heck of a dog but she was always second dog till I moved and took my dog with me and she had to step up she did.  Kinda rambling but you wanted to know lol.   Most lacys work differently than does your common bmc especially if you have a couple working togather they will keep nipping at the rear end and keep the hog off and spinning where most baydogs bay up persay the lacy wants at the rear end and make it turn.  This can be good and bad depends on your pack.  Most of what I'm talking about is my experiences between me and my dad we have had somewhere around 15 and have hunted with most of them.  My current male is hog possessive being once caught he thinks it is his.  I. But other than that has no aggression so I just know to either make him roll or tie him up.  I love my lacys but let me say they aint for everyone let them and they will worm their way into your heart lol. 
jerryg
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 09:45:45 pm »

I have had my share of Lacys and one thing that drives me crazy is they can be dog aggressive...drives me nuts!  Now my buddy has one that is not papered that t would have in my kennels any day...long range and puts pigs at the end time and time again and no aggression!!

Jerryg
xpressboat87
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 09:59:58 pm »

Thanks for the info
ole shep
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 10:37:46 pm »

I'm on the like side.

There is nothing a dip of snuff won't make better. Bow hunter. Bend it and send it. WWT approved
Purebreedcolt
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 02:40:27 am »

Everyone says dog aggressive but I have hardly seen it.  Now yes the bowing up but not aggressive maybe I am just lucky.
Jpepper
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2012, 09:10:54 am »

I've got a couple of them and they work for me. Smart dogs and athletic with a nose on em.
TColt
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2012, 09:30:44 am »

I don't have a whole lot of experience with the breed but I have spent the last three years with one that has turned out pretty good so I'll tell you about her. She was a good rough help dog till she was almost two. Started to turn on and got cut real bad on a big boar. Since then she has been loose and will rarely catch with the catch dog. Once she was almost three she was rockin and rollin. She hunts short to medium range weather walkin or riding. Once she gets into any sort of pig sign she hunts long range. She can trail and wind good. Put her on a three hour old trail the other day where we saw a pig cross earlier in the hunt and she took it and struck. She pretty much has endless bottom, can stick with one for hours or bay for hours if needed. Usually have to cut her off on a road if I want to get her off. When working a hog she tries to work to the head if the hog isn't faster than her. I've seen her in fields run past them and try to turn them. If she can't get ahead of them she will chew on their rear end. Once she is bayed she will circle with if another dogs comes around, will work back and forth in front of the hog when she is by herself, doesn't really ever sit still and bay in one spot. If other hogs are in the area she will roll out soon once the hog is caught sometimes, other times she will roll out soon as another bay dog gets to her. She's has been a real good dog and I would love to have another just like her. Never shows signs of aggression. She is smart, good in the house when I let her in. She is really an all around quiet calm dog until we go hunting. From my understanding most lacys are not like this though.

Here is her ped so you know how she is bred.

Taylor Colt Christian- TDHA member
http://tdha.org/

Support our sport!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: