September 22, 2024, 10:20:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: hunting in the wind  (Read 1175 times)
Purebreedcolt
Hog Doom

View Profile
« on: April 14, 2012, 02:36:45 pm »

Hey know a guy around here that will almost only hunt in the wind 20/30 mph.  Says the hogs don't run as far and are easier to bay up because can't hear as well.  Me I hate the wind about 5 mph is good to me lol.  But the wind is blowing and I got the itch to hunt so.  Was wondering what's yalls experiences with the wind.
T-Bob Parker
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 02:56:29 pm »

I know it sure makes dogs harder to hear baying! More often than not I just don't worry about the meteoralogical details any more. I be seen dogs have a hard time in drought, flood, wind, snow, day and night. I used to make excuses for them, but that didn't get me anywhere so I quit

Windows Down, Waylon Up.
KevinN
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 10:17:28 pm »

X2 on hearing the dogs bay. Other than that I like it.

"Let's talk some philosophy"
M Bennet
Hog Doom

LETS ROLL OUT BOY'S

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 10:33:13 pm »

we caught 3 today in the wind it was awsome

Monty Bennet
Wmwendler
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 10:37:30 pm »

Hey know a guy around here that will almost only hunt in the wind 20/30 mph.  Says the hogs don't run as far and are easier to bay up because can't hear as well. 

He must use hounds.

Waylon
Heaven Sent Kennel
Alpha Dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 10:46:31 pm »

Hey know a guy around here that will almost only hunt in the wind 20/30 mph.  Says the hogs don't run as far and are easier to bay up because can't hear as well. 

He must use hounds.

Waylon

LOL that's funny right there. We hunted today. had a chance for hail, storms, and tornadoes but need to get the dogs on some pigs. I like to hear a good bay. Ended up catching 3 today. Seemed like right before they struck and started a bay the winde died down it was kinda crazy. Depends if your hunting high ground or creek and river bottoms also. Bottoms provide a lil wind block but it still don't make it easier. Using the gps tracker is handy also. You can kinda see what your dogs are doing and know wether or not to head to them or if they still runnin' out a trail.

If ya ain't touchin' 'em ya ain't close enuff!!!
T-Bob Parker
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 11:59:22 pm »

Hunted tonight in the big windy, caught 1 hog and 4 skunks, the last skunk was a total surprise to me and unfortunately I was directly in the path of stinkage.

Windows Down, Waylon Up.
cash
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 03:26:56 pm »

I caught a decent sow in the wind last night she didn't run a hundredyards n bayed up
josh54
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 06:33:29 pm »

Im gonna try hunting tonight bout 30 mph wind. Hopefully it goes well. One of my new dogs first time out with me

hog doggin is not a sport....its a way of life!!!!
txhogsanddogs
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 11:06:27 pm »

On the hearing the dogs is about my only complant.  I don't care if it's 40mph.  I'll hunt it and tend to always be succesful.  does matter on hunting into the wind or with.  if you have a dog that will go he will get downwind soon enough. 

Proud TDHA Member!
Lance
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 11:22:46 pm »

Caught 6 yesterday in the wind. I used to wouldnt hunt in the wind because I couldnt hear my dogs. I got my first tracking system about 10 yrs ago and since then I fear no wind. The new Garmins really make it easy and their alot easier to handle than them old big systems.

A scared dog dont get no meat !
josh54
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 11:25:53 pm »

damn right. Caught two good ones within the first 30 minutes. Had 5 strike dogs and four separate bays goin at once but one catch dog can only do so much. One is about a 120 pound sow  and the other is a 300 pound boar with 3 and half inch cutters and also killed about 8 under 100 that strike dogs caught. All in all good night besides dragging the big one 250yards and across a river. On foot with just two of us. Fun stuff

josh54
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 06:18:05 am »

Got home at about 130 andwere able to look the dogs over good. We saw that both mine and my brothers lead dogs were cut pretty good. My brothers gas about a 4 inch cut that really just peeled the skin back. My dog has 3 good punctures all on different legs. View are real rose but think they're gonna be alright just be out of commission for a while 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: