October 09, 2024, 02:22:31 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Which kind of dogs do you like Open on track or Silent? Why?
Open - 7 (20.6%)
Silent - 18 (52.9%)
Both - 9 (26.5%)
Total Voters: 34

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Open or Silent On Track?  (Read 2034 times)
SCHitemHard
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2012, 05:27:04 pm »

loud and proud for me. that hog has two choices fight or flight

Matt H
Cleveland, OH
hoghunter71409
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2012, 06:40:14 pm »

OPEN!!

You find one good open rough dog (which can be hard), you wont want anyhting else.  To me, the silent guys have not owned a good opne dog.  If they did, they wouldn't be so against an open dog.  JMO
riverbottomhoghunter
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2012, 10:00:08 pm »

cause we are used to hearing the dog bark only once when it is bayed up

JESUS, WAYLON, HANK. WILLIE, JOHNNY, MERLE
Corey
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2012, 07:11:35 am »

I don't believe the voice make a difference. I think I just need smarter dogs. I can't count the number off times I walked through an area the dogs struck in and heard, seen, or dodged the ONES (notice the plural) that sunk down to hide instead of running........my stupid dogs always pick the first hog that moves, heres your sign!, that's the runner.

All in all.....speaking for my dogs only.....I catch the same amount with silent or open dogs on the ground. The open dogs sometimes make for longer race, they can get away with that, they have the nose and bottom where as my silent dogs will not, or can not maybe, stay with a runner as long....they need the element of surprise.

Now if it was just personal pleasure, I have come to enjoy hearing a good race. Bawl strike,  chop track, nothin lost it, bawl recovery, streaming bawl locate, fast chop w/ streaming bawl dodge in there..send the bull dog
Nash
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2012, 09:46:37 am »

I just like to eat pork. As long as the freezers full it doesn't matter to me. The hogs run for ever around here I have owned plenty of both and it doesn't seem to make a difference. Main thing is that they hunt, find, and run it to the end.

Nash
HORJUA
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2012, 10:01:32 am »

i am a hound man and always will be, i love open dogs, i run plotts. i also have no problem with a silent dog, but i prefer open all day.
pigrig
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2012, 10:49:46 pm »

i soon make a dog silent that trail barks

new zealand dogger
M Bennet
Hog Doom

LETS ROLL OUT BOY'S

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2012, 10:59:26 pm »

i hunt with both and we catch hogs either way

Monty Bennet
Bosshogg316
Hog Dog Pup

Stickin' and Stackin'

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2012, 10:18:37 am »

Well I have both I catch hogs with both I hunt them by there self or together if your open dogs run to catch and not just run to run there's a differance most people I've hunted with wouldn't know a good hog dog if it bit them I guess you could say I like a sure nuf good hog dog and we have good ones both open and silent

If you ain't first, you're last!
Joe Tullos
Bay Dog

jttjr

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2012, 10:28:09 pm »

Everyone has thier periforiance me personally like the beautiful music. Remember when had no electronics and have caughtt many hogs with open mouth dog. Like one that strikes moves couple hundred yards and opens again. Dont like ababbling dog but one that moves the track and gets one stopped. I do agree that it may make other hogs move around which maybe a good thing when you turn back loose. Again to each his own that is why we are different breed of people. Hunting with dogs is a art all to its self. God bless

God bless and miracles happen. The old way is still the best way. Let a dog open every once in awhile. Want hurt a thing.
chainrated
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2012, 02:23:58 pm »

The 2 main reasons I prefer a silent dog are
1. Most of the landowners around here dont like to hear a bunch of hounds running through the woods barking, They think it runs their deer off.
2. Silent dogs catch more hogs around here. There are more and more people Hog hunting every year and there is more and more pressure on hogs every year. I have hunted with lots of hounds and some good ones, not the ones that just run around in the woods barking and get credit for it. But they just don't produce hogs like a silent dog. I have some buddies that used to hunt a lot of hounds but they hunt silent dogs now because they just catch more hogs with them.

Our houses are protected by the good lord and a gun, you might meet em both if you show up here unwelcome son..
riverbottomhoghunter
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2012, 10:23:30 pm »

i prefer a silent dog

JESUS, WAYLON, HANK. WILLIE, JOHNNY, MERLE
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: