October 06, 2024, 02:25:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: how many dogs  (Read 1966 times)
shuttin em down
Strike Dog

View Profile
« on: May 14, 2012, 08:40:12 am »

How many strike dogs do yall take to the wood, how many help dogs and how many catch dogs do yall take a time when yall head to the woods
drew
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 08:55:17 am »

TShelly
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 09:13:44 am »

4-6 strike dogs.. We don't own help dogs, they get culled! One bull dog

Get ahead dog!
shuttin em down
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 09:25:03 am »

TShelly how big of a bulldog do you usually use tell me more about the bull dog
jrangnow
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 09:32:03 am »

1-2 strike dogs. 2-3 bulldogs.

We have found running less strike dogs is mich better. Everyone on here talks about runners and theycanever stop them, well most of te time its because they have have 8 dogs on the ground and one dog strikes the hog and then 7 others show up amd pit to much pressure on the hog which makes him run. If you have 1 or 2 jam up strike dogs they will hold and stop any hog. Most of they time with 1 or 2 strikw dogs the hog wont run at all because it doesnt feel pressured. They just sitt there and look at the dog barking at them. Then you have 2-3 good shut doen bulldogs ad you let them all go at the same time that way they all get there about the same time and and shut the hog down. Rather than havein 25 dogs in te ground and dogs tryin to bite and cstch the hog amd push him to run.  Find em. Hold em. Shut em down. Works great for us and tjere is rarely a "runner".

"Bigger  is  ALWAYS better."
cody l
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 09:35:17 am »

We usually run 3 or 4 dogs and a few pups and my 50lbs bulldog
easttexasoutlaw33
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 09:41:47 am »

Run 4 strike dogs and 2 bulldogs maybe a puppy or two when i have them? Both bulldogs weigh 70 plus.
Purebreedcolt
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 09:53:40 am »

2 to 8 bay dogs then 2 or 3 cds caught one with 8 friday nothing on saturday with 2 and both nights got on hogs. Just depends on who I'm huntin with and where
BA-IV
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 10:08:32 am »

I take one old dog I can depend on and a young dog, and probably fixing to start taking strictly young dogs once they get old enough to go, and one bulldog.
T-Bob Parker
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 10:14:40 am »

If I'm hunting by myself with no one to entertain ill put down just 2. They may find each their own, they may team up, just no telling. They are both very capable. If I want to catch a hog I've started just turning in a catchy cur or telling them gyps to catch.

Outside of command, they won't touch one and that's just like I like it. I sometimes let the dogs bay one for a good long while before I fool with it and sometimes I feel they've bayed long enough I'll go to them and call them to me. If I can keep from screwing with a bulldog I will

Windows Down, Waylon Up.
Kid7
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 10:59:31 am »

If I'm hunting by myself with no one to entertain ill put down just 2. They may find each their own, they may team up, just no telling. They are both very capable. If I want to catch a hog I've started just turning in a catchy cur or telling them gyps to catch.

Outside of command, they won't touch one and that's just like I like it. I sometimes let the dogs bay one for a good long while before I fool with it and sometimes I feel they've bayed long enough I'll go to them and call them to me. If I can keep from screwing with a bulldog I will

There ya go. I only take one bulldog. But I hav one cat that bays loose and I can tell to catch. My pups catch wen he does and my good gyp rolls out. I like taking a bulldog for back up tho

Seth Gillespie
TShelly
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 12:20:26 pm »

TShelly how big of a bulldog do you usually use tell me more about the bull dog

45#'s of all heart, break stick needed everytime. We like smaller bulldogs. And most of cur dogs will help catch
1-2 strike dogs. 2-3 bulldogs.

We have found running less strike dogs is mich better. Everyone on here talks about runners and theycanever stop them, well most of te time its because they have have 8 dogs on the ground and one dog strikes the hog and then 7 others show up amd pit to much pressure on the hog which makes him run. If you have 1 or 2 jam up strike dogs they will hold and stop any hog. Most of they time with 1 or 2 strikw dogs the hog wont run at all because it doesnt feel pressured. They just sitt there and look at the dog barking at them. Then you have 2-3 good shut doen bulldogs ad you let them all go at the same time that way they all get there about the same time and and shut the hog down. Rather than havein 25 dogs in te ground and dogs tryin to bite and cstch the hog amd push him to run.  Find em. Hold em. Shut em down. Works great for us and tjere is rarely a "runner".

Works for us, we'll occasionally hunt up to 7-10 real good dogs depending on how many people we have an how big the place is. Our cut dogs will catch most, and don't have too many runners get away. Most pole don't have 7-10 strike dogs in their group of hunters though. I enjoy just 2 or 3 dogs as well. It just varies on what we are trying to accomplish.. When we track hunt it is one or two dogs max

Get ahead dog!
shuttin em down
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2012, 01:23:03 pm »

well we hunt on 732 acres how many dogs would yall reccommend on that
T-Bob Parker
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2012, 01:47:25 pm »

We don't know your dogs. You may need 1 dog, you may need 732. Just no way of knowing

Windows Down, Waylon Up.
kellywood
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2012, 02:36:11 pm »

I hunt with two gritty Plotts and a 40# pit. The Plotts are silent on track and will catch on command. The pit gives me a solid ear catch every time and my 94# male Plott will shut down any struggle once I call him in. I feel confident turning the three of them loose on anything anywhere.

A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE!
Middleton
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2012, 02:49:13 pm »

I am hunting 1 cur an 2 rcd's an I've just started running a young cur pup with them but I don't like any more then 4.
Central Tx
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2012, 03:35:28 pm »

We usually take 4-6 strike dogs and on certain hunts we take 1 catch dog we hardly use a catch dog though
M Bennet
Hog Doom

LETS ROLL OUT BOY'S

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2012, 04:30:26 pm »

hunt 2 hood dogs and carry 2 or 3 rough dogs and 2 cd

Monty Bennet
hillbilly
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2012, 02:40:34 am »

Usually 2 dogs with a pup or two. Always like 2 bulldogs. If I go bymyself which I hardly do anymore just 1 dog with a bulldog.

Lets go we burning daylight
HDCURS
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2012, 03:20:52 am »

I hunted two cur dogs and one bulldog for.along time and I was the only one who had dogs that I hunted with back then it was all about catching the most and biggest hogs possible and I caught plenty. Now a days I hunt with a bunch of buddies that have dogs and the pleasure comes from hanging out with friends watching dogs work and trying to raise better dogs than we have already.when we go hunting now usually everybody will turn out atleast one dog so any where from two dogs to ten dogs and we still catch plenty of hogs.so hunt as many as you want aslong as your getting the job done it shouldn't matter to anyone but you!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: