September 28, 2024, 05:52:27 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game Fowl School !!!!  (Read 52793 times)
SCHitemHard
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 04, 2012, 10:17:43 pm »

i should be writin this down right?  Tongue Grin

Matt H
Cleveland, OH
M Bennet
Hog Doom

LETS ROLL OUT BOY'S

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 04, 2012, 10:36:12 pm »

look up , slick lizard game farm and look at jerry and jason chickens ,

Monty Bennet
SCHitemHard
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 04, 2012, 11:49:51 pm »

those blue asil cocks got my eye real quick.

i think i like the kelso and the clarets the most

Matt H
Cleveland, OH
SCHitemHard
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 05, 2012, 10:01:20 am »

mr bennet what would you pay for a good mature rooster?

Matt H
Cleveland, OH
Oly
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 05, 2012, 11:08:05 am »

Beautiful birds--- I have a question for those who played the sport back when it was legal in this country (it is still legal in my home land)---part of the fun of the sport as I remember it was the conditioning and grooming of the birds, was it custom here in the US the groom the birds as they do in countries like Mexico, Puerto Rico and the rest of the Latin countries? Or where they fought in feathers? Just comparing I know styles change from state to state and country to country.

This is how they are groomed in my country and a bird in feathers would NOT be allowed to fight.

"If it is againts the law for a man to fend for himself--- then outlaw I am"
bigo
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 05, 2012, 11:33:00 am »

Is the brown cock a Hennie Spanish cross. I have seen a handfull of Hennies  go in my life and they were all outstanding. They all gave me the impression of viciousness. I watched a video of the last two rounds of the big knife derby in the Phillipines and saw four or five Hennies win in impressive short order.

The older I get, the better I was.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between a dog and a man.
         Mark Twain
Oly
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 05, 2012, 11:39:07 am »

I cannot confirm if its a hennie X or not Sir, sure looks like one--- I got the pixs from the internet, these are not my roosters, I posted them just to refrence the grooming part.

O

SwampHunter
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 05, 2012, 12:08:28 pm »

Those birds are like my Spanish birds , they groom
Them because they fight for so long with the natural spurs to keep them from over heating,

That is a hen feathered cock , I have some redquill hennies

Those are good looking  I like Spanish fowl they are sone tuff lil dudes
SwampHunter
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 05, 2012, 12:12:26 pm »

gary fuller
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 05, 2012, 01:18:16 pm »

Monty, was west coast gamefarm gerald guerske?
halfbreed
Hog Doom

MR. Whitten

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 05, 2012, 03:42:57 pm »

to answer your question oly . no we didn't pluck our roosters lol they were gromed a bit for heat but if you cut off to many down feathers they would cry that you were cheating on the weight when matching .

hattak at ofi piso

469-658-2534
Oly
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 05, 2012, 03:51:14 pm »

Thank you Sirs.

Swamphunter that bottom bird is about one of the most stricking birds I seen in a long while---beautiful animal.

M Bennet
Hog Doom

LETS ROLL OUT BOY'S

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 05, 2012, 04:31:12 pm »

sch, i payed 1500 for 2 trios of birds from slick lizard, 1 was sweater and 2 was radio kelso.  these two families won me lots of money in the short nyf and kelso were awsome in the long nyf.
 i gave 800 for a trio of gavlin hatch from buck stansil.
but the rest of my birds came from the old timers i ran with. wade flat, mr cotton. roy don lynch. roy taught me how to feed and tie short and long nyf. we went to mexico an faught several mains . but i took a little of every boddies stuff and made my own and it worked for me . in 2000 i won the prelium on friday night at texhoma 4 cock short nyf 52000 dallors it was great.

Monty Bennet
M Bennet
Hog Doom

LETS ROLL OUT BOY'S

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 05, 2012, 04:32:57 pm »

gary fuller, i believe that was the guys name, but i bought them chickens 20 yrs ago,

Monty Bennet
jimco
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 05, 2012, 04:43:07 pm »

How about the different methods of conditioning the birds? Could y'all talk a lil about that. I only knew 2 people that raised game fowl. One was a Cajun . He was big on the right diet and line breeding and just was a fanatic about the overall health of the birds. He was very successful for many years. I don't remember him sparring them or anything. He just tested them at the derbys in Sunset.

Now the other guy I knew was a Cuban who lived down the road. He was always doing things with his birds that I didn't understand as a kid but i was always curious. Some things he would do. He would hold one cock and his boy would hold another and they would just tease them for hours on in without letting them get to each other and then pick them up. He would also teather  one bird in a pit and take this sawed off homemade looking broom thing and drag it back and forth across the ground in front of him. He would also put them on rope in place of a roost pole and you could see them struggling to keep their balance until they got use to standing on the rope. He had hundreds of birds. When they made it illegal in Louisiana he got busted at home one day and he went to jail and them summbitches took and destroyed all his birds. The state police was in on it and they made an example out of him. 

"Pedigree indicates what the animal should be. Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be. But PERFORMANCE indicates what the animal actually is."
SCHitemHard
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 05, 2012, 05:53:51 pm »

so 200 for a mature clipper and 2 clipper/claret hens would be a good deal then?

i rem my papa would put his roosters on a tight rope and tie bout 6 inches of rope on a foot and when they would fall off they would hang and pull themselves back onto the rope. he would walk them on a leash like a dog too it was funny to see the looks on peoples faces

Matt H
Cleveland, OH
bigo
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 05, 2012, 06:14:51 pm »

Chickens are on a seven day cycle from the time the eggs start incubating 'till the day they die. It takes three seven day cycles to hatch or 21 days, thus the two week keep. On day one, I spared mine, that and the putting them in the fly pens would knock them back and start them on my seven day cycle. The object being to have them peak on fight day. I fed mine basicly what I fed all year, which was no.1 pidgeon grain, laying pellets and oat groats along with an occasional ball of meat and bonemeal off of a meat saw and other days a ball of canned fish. I kept mine wormed, so I didn't worry about that and you could buy all kinds of vitamins that were guarenteed to make them whip a buzzsaw. Great breeding and year round good care, and keeping a sharp eye on their weight, was hard to beat. The last few days of the keep, you reduced the work and started trying to control the moisture. If you had good well cared for birds and got the moisture right, you were going to be hard to beat.

The older I get, the better I was.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between a dog and a man.
         Mark Twain
M Bennet
Hog Doom

LETS ROLL OUT BOY'S

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 05, 2012, 06:24:23 pm »

i would work my birds on a board , it was carpted an set at a 50 degree angel  and i would set the bird at the bottom and let him run an flap his wings . i would start out with 3 an every night add 3 to it. for 3 weeks and i would spur them every night, but never let them hit each other. teaching them to score or get across the pit first to fight. i fed a real high carbohydrate diet. iv put a rooster up before for 4 wks and kill him to see how much body fat he had around his gutts. the last 3 feedings they would get popcorn and a raw egg with cinnom . the last wk they would get a 20 of vitemin k to the last 3 days to help keep them from bleeding out to quick. the last wk the cocks would rest for 7 days and i would wash their legs with warm water an witch hazel the last 24 hrs before they faught i would put in boxes and black them out for them to rest . 72 hours before i faught them i would spur them an let them hit a few times to nock them down off there high. a rooster comes around every 72 hrs on his highest peak when he feels the best. 27 hours before i would fight that would be there last feeding . if i had to hold them on point for along time i would go out to the parking lot an get little rocks an put down there gizzurd so it would keep working , if it ever stopps the cocks will act sick, an some times i would give 1 piece of popcorn every hour to hold on point. if i was fighting gaff i would take water away the night before and if the nyf i would keep ot in front of them until the derby started. if a cock drink alot of water i would cull him out of the show. he normaly was running fever or sick. my feed was bluebonnet cock conditioning,split peas, peanuts ,spagetty,sardenes,brown rice,fruitcocktail,yogurt,pecans,pegionfeed,boiled eggs every night, buttermilk,popcorn, raisenes, alfafa hay, and pedealite, and oyster shell or grit
but i was taught if yur roosters were healthy all yr they didnt need much of a keep. it helps to rotate them on the yard once a wk to keep them active and happy. i probly missed some stuff i had nt put a rooster up in 3 yrs.

Monty Bennet
BA-IV
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 05, 2012, 06:36:27 pm »

Damn that is alot of work behind the scenes.  I would never have imagined that much work, thought, or science went into that sport.  I'm impressed Monty.

I bet after all that you was on a high yourself when you won.
BA-IV
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 05, 2012, 06:39:42 pm »

For you old time bird men:

Let's hear about your most memorable fight, and who did y'all consider to have the best birds as far as continuously winning besides yourselves of course?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: