September 27, 2024, 01:26:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game Fowl School !!!!  (Read 52739 times)
gary fuller
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 05, 2012, 06:50:30 pm »

thanks monty, im pretty suree that was guerscke and he sold alot of eggs. i only met him after he moved to oregon. and  it sounds like  you did good with what you got from him but from visiting his place and seein him at the fights in oregon for a few years, i doubt them chckens parents ever saw a warhorse,lol.it seemed like he  had one pair of everything or maybe  one cock or stag and up to a dozen hens. and he was known to get cocks from the dead piles and  take em and doctor em up, but he didnt have hens that matches them but he  soon after started sellin pure egss.man i wish i could get the picture thing mastered and i would post pictures  from when i attended rattliffs school in menlo georgia.  also took some pictures  at hugh normans.congrats on winnin that big prelim back then too, that was tuff competition. i loved all the old strains and  had a mess of em over the years.  my favorites were a family of california chets/ chet robinsons that i had for many years up untill i quit the birds. i also had very good luck with fowl from dan grey.
M Bennet
Hog Doom

LETS ROLL OUT BOY'S

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 05, 2012, 06:51:42 pm »

i won the hutto havvick derby at cripple creek 5 cock. im still today friends with mr hutto, his health is going but he is one off the old timers i looked up to.
tom leggett and steve tackett where awsome breeders and feeders won alot. wade flatt, buck stansil were easy going and if they liked you they would teach and show you things. oh cant for get mike ratlif, good teacher on all parts of the sport. he got his hatch blood out of the dead piel at a derby one night and he named them genral hatch , lol cause he didnt know what it was but it looked like just a old genral hatch rooster.

Monty Bennet
M Bennet
Hog Doom

LETS ROLL OUT BOY'S

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 05, 2012, 07:00:38 pm »

gary, i never seen his place but i sent him 750 dallors and i got some lemmon neck black chickens that i raised out of and these could sling some leggs and cut a rooster to death. then 1 sent him money and bought the bacon and they were good , but he told me to breed them to a mclain hatch and watch the differents , and he was right it helped and thats how i faught them. DAMN CHICKEN PEDLERS, lol   realy aint no telling what they were.

Monty Bennet
jimco
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 05, 2012, 07:26:27 pm »

Hey Monty, I want my Phoenix fowl to stay agile and athletic as possible to have the best chance at survival in the woods and I don't want them fat. I'm still putting them up at night for another month before I turn them out for good. I feed 12 birds a quart can of feed they mix at the feed store. It has a small amount of cracked corn, some milo, some oats, a good bit of catfish pellets, and a little bit of sunflower seeds.  Do you think a quart oil can full of this feed is enough for 12 birds ?  And what do you think of this feed mix? The birds are 3 months old.

"Pedigree indicates what the animal should be. Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be. But PERFORMANCE indicates what the animal actually is."
bigo
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 05, 2012, 07:56:25 pm »

My dad had game chikens in the 50's and 60's and for a while we lived 2 miles from Everett Bishop. He was Bobby Manziels chicken man for awhile and considered by many to be one of the very best conditioners and handelers. He was a quiet man and kept to himself and didn't get the recognition that Sweater, Perry and some got, but they knew how good he was. He liked my dad and helped him alot and some of it got passed to me. In the early 80's, before he died, he let me and my brother in law have some of his old hatch clarets and they were still hard to beat.

The older I get, the better I was.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between a dog and a man.
         Mark Twain
M Bennet
Hog Doom

LETS ROLL OUT BOY'S

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 05, 2012, 09:05:56 pm »

i feed my chickens one hand full . cause its about the same size as there craw. get 12 hand fulls and see how much it fills the oil can up.  the feed sounds ok, crack corn is 6% crude protien more like a filler, dont like it can cause cancur sores on there mouth or throat. if there running loose just feed them a maintance feed. but anything is better than nothing. every once in awhile boil some eggs and feed it to them and feed yur baby chicks boiled eggs the first 7 days

Monty Bennet
DWEST
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 05, 2012, 10:03:40 pm »

what do ya'll mean by "putting up" a rooster?  Are they on some kind of cycle or was this just a training thing?
gary fuller
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 05, 2012, 10:29:15 pm »

puttin em up basically means conditioning them/ putting them thru a keep. i think this comes from the way that most folks took the roosters from a walk/ runnin loose,  or off a tie cord or out of a big pen and then while conditioning them kept them  " put up" in  a small keep stall.
SCHitemHard
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 06, 2012, 12:34:27 am »

my question of the night is how hardy are they with winter and snow? should i change to a special feed during those times?

Matt H
Cleveland, OH
Oly
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 06, 2012, 07:22:46 am »

Interesting thread Gents.

"If it is againts the law for a man to fend for himself--- then outlaw I am"
gary fuller
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 06, 2012, 10:52:55 am »

sch, just like dogs. keep em a bit fat ni cold weather. you should be able to find some good rooster men in ohio. they used to be a ton of em there.
SCHitemHard
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 06, 2012, 11:24:37 am »

gary i posted some pics on page 2 of some i found for a good cheap price. older fella just wantin to thin out his roosters to prevent inbred chicks.

slowly but surely im thinkin of every aspect to get a pen goin again. just hope the city lets me have them in my yard since they are very strict.

Matt H
Cleveland, OH
Oly
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 06, 2012, 02:06:01 pm »

Here some videos I fnd from Puerto Rico (sorry they are in Spanish) it’s a three part series the second one or part 2 has some stuff on conditioning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BrZriNzfpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOS0ewWQ74g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mbbNvh0Cbg

Please remember that this is national sport in Puerto Rico, 100% legal, the pits are government run and strictly regulated by the department of sport and recreations.  Any questions on the Videos I can translate for yall.

Talked to a few ol-friends and it seems roosters in Caribbean tend to be smaller and faster than those in England, North America and the Philippians.  I guess they also believe it’s a test of endurance and stamina as well hence they like naturals.

Lost of Videos on youtube on training and lots of actual matches.

"If it is againts the law for a man to fend for himself--- then outlaw I am"
M Bennet
Hog Doom

LETS ROLL OUT BOY'S

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 06, 2012, 03:03:34 pm »

sch, add  more corn to yur feed in winter

Monty Bennet
SCHitemHard
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 06, 2012, 04:56:36 pm »

mr bennet what about rabbit food and some sweet feed?

Matt H
Cleveland, OH
SwampHunter
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 16, 2012, 07:20:14 pm »

any body want some asil birds ? i got a few chicks an maybe some grown birds i would be willing to give you as long as you dont sell them to no body an kept them around
YELLOWBLACKMASK
Lord of the Hogs

Keep em Straight and Keep em Yeller

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 25, 2013, 11:45:43 pm »

Well boys.....scored me some Joe Redmond Greys and some Brown Irish Hennie's. 
Gonna play with these awhile and see where we go from here.

Had to go cross the nation to find these lil fellers but guess we will see how they match up on these nasty ole Frosts. 

Will get some pics up in a few days.
UNDERDOG
Global Moderator
Hog Catching Machine

I always tell the truth.....even when I lie!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: August 26, 2013, 12:58:38 am »

Had to go cross the nation to find these lil fellers but guess we will see how they match up on these nasty ole Frosts. 

Look forward to the pics.....recon I can talk ya out a lil trio of them hennies when you raise some ??

Bryant Mcdonald
New Caney, Tx.
936-537-2537

www.facebook.com/Bonedigger.kennels.
YELLOWBLACKMASK
Lord of the Hogs

Keep em Straight and Keep em Yeller

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 26, 2013, 01:29:23 am »

Look forward to the pics.....recon I can talk ya out a lil trio of them hennies when you raise some ??

Only if ya talk sweet to me Bryant.......only if ya talk sweet... Kiss laugh
gbj
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 26, 2013, 02:53:34 pm »

This topic brings back a lot of good memories. I had chickens back in the 70s and 80s. I got my first trio from Johnny Jumper. I learned to handle and condition from Johnny and Shorty Bullock. Was a regular at Sunset and Cormier's(sp). I sure do miss it.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: