October 07, 2024, 02:37:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stink bait, Frozen bait, fresh cut bait or live bait?  (Read 7188 times)
Kid7
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« on: August 14, 2012, 02:42:16 pm »

Wats yalls favorite? Ive never used stink bait but frozen liver and goldfish seem to work the best for me.

Seth Gillespie
jon
Alpha Dog

Lake Texoma Hog Dogs

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 03:15:34 pm »

live fresh caught gizzard

sshh... ya hear that??? there bayed boys!!!!!
TDHA Member
dirtydeez
Catch Dog

Lake Texoma Hog dogs

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 09:33:06 pm »

Cut shad
halfbreed
Hog Doom

MR. Whitten

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 07:58:12 am »

so what kinda fish we talkin catfish i presume  lol  what method  trotline ??  and where at river , lake  lost to consider when chooesing bait

hattak at ofi piso

469-658-2534
Easttex91
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 11:07:53 am »

I wanna say it's illegal to use goldfish?
Purebreedcolt
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 11:20:35 am »

For poles hands down shrimp then live bait perch then worms.  For trot lines live bait.  Never had much luck with stink bait but have good luck with the chum stuff you get at walfart.  Read in fur fish and game that ivory soap works well haven't tried it yet but plan on it.
Kid7
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 11:37:47 am »

I wanna say it's illegal to use goldfish?
It may be illegal but they sell them at the bait store i go to. For trotlines in the river and jugs in a lake i use live bait. Usually perch. But im talking about from the bank of a river with a pole. ive had pretty good luck with cut shad. Just wanting to know if there is somethin else out there that would work better Wink

Seth Gillespie
halfbreed
Hog Doom

MR. Whitten

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 08:51:50 pm »

yeah thats the info i needed . if the river is flowing the stink baits are bad about washing off i'g use a hard bait or live shad or cut bait bream or perch /

hattak at ofi piso

469-658-2534
Handle_It
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 10:09:13 pm »

Man what I have used in the past for river and lake with pole is a bag of some tortilla makin flour mix big red and crushed up Cheetos. Them cats like it!
jon
Alpha Dog

Lake Texoma Hog Dogs

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 11:31:29 pm »

Man what I have used in the past for river and lake with pole is a bag of some tortilla makin flour mix big red and crushed up Cheetos. Them cats like it!
I'll be trying that this weekend never heard of that mixture

sshh... ya hear that??? there bayed boys!!!!!
TDHA Member
hogmantx1979
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 11:32:59 pm »

Goldfish just can't be used for bass but can for catfish I do believe

Life is what you make of it!!! Always stay positive
hogmantx1979
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 11:33:57 pm »

Red belly perch work well on trotliine or limb line big op love em

Life is what you make of it!!! Always stay positive
TinyTexasCowgirl
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2012, 08:56:26 am »

We use a little of everything but the best we have found are

Fresh or frozen cut shad. Cut the head off, the tail off and fish with the head and middle.

COOKED frozen shrimp. It's tougher than raw and they are usually all the same size, and your not winding up with a bunch of heads and trash like you can in the TV shrimp.

Danny Kings catfish bait. It's a dough bait but it really holds on a treble hook nice and they will attack it hard.

Perch. Enough said.

We also use the hell out of chum. Mix one package of yeast, a beer, and about 3/4 of a 5 gallon bucket full of 1/2 chicken scratch and 1/2 milo or cracked corn (not whole!!). Enough water for everything to cover about an inch. Then let it soak. Don't put a lid or anything, or it will swell and pop it off. It's ready when there is black and green slime all over it. 

Philippians 4:6
Hog Dog Mike
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2012, 09:38:24 am »

I have caught thousands of catfish on Danny King over the years. However, one of the guys that made it died and the stuff you get at Wally World is not the same.

Porters Sporting Goods in Dogwood City, Tx. went in with the guy that used to  make the real Danny King and are making a bait now. It is good and catches fish. They grind up crickets and put in it which seems to help. However, they need to put more cat tails in it so it stays on the hook better.

It is legal to use gold fish on a trotline and I do it all the time on my noodles.
Kid7
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2012, 12:31:49 pm »

Cool thanks for all the tips!

Seth Gillespie
kerreydw
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2012, 08:29:13 am »

catch a large carp scale it then filet it leave the skin on him cut into small pieces make shure the hook goes thrue the skin it will stay on for more than one or two fish
josh54
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2012, 06:19:10 pm »

bluegill perch, live shad cut shad gold fish or cut carp

hog doggin is not a sport....its a way of life!!!!
Yelladogwreckincrew
Strike Dog

curr dogs and caught hogs

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2012, 09:14:21 pm »

Soap!

curr dogs and caught hogs
BigNoseKate
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2012, 05:28:51 pm »

Soap (in the winter when the water's moving) and Shad have always worked the best for us!

Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man and work like a dog
evandavis3
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2012, 10:02:48 pm »

We use a little of everything but the best we have found are

Fresh or frozen cut shad. Cut the head off, the tail off and fish with the head and middle.

COOKED frozen shrimp. It's tougher than raw and they are usually all the same size, and your not winding up with a bunch of heads and trash like you can in the TV shrimp.

Danny Kings catfish bait. It's a dough bait but it really holds on a treble hook nice and they will attack it hard.

Perch. Enough said.

We also use the hell out of chum. Mix one package of yeast, a beer, and about 3/4 of a 5 gallon bucket full of 1/2 chicken scratch and 1/2 milo or cracked corn (not whole!!). Enough water for everything to cover about an inch. Then let it soak. Don't put a lid or anything, or it will swell and pop it off. It's ready when there is black and green slime all over it. 
  just curious are you having to add cattails you your danny king.  i used to use it all the time, i still use lewis king...since danny sold his recipie i have had lots of trouble with it being loose and not staying on the hook. found that wrapping it with mesh helped but to much hassle.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: