September 20, 2024, 12:39:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Judgement Call !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 1621 times)
hogdown
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2012, 06:07:04 am »

THE WAY I LOOK AT IT IS YOU TURN YOUR BULL DOG OUT AND IT RUNS TO THE BAY FROM THAT FAR AWAY AND IT STILL TAKES U A LONG TIME TO GET TO THEM YOUR DOGS ARE HOT YOUR BULL DOD IS OUT OF WIND THATS NOT HELP THATS JUST A GOOD WAY TO HAVE A BIG HOG WITH NO EARS AND KNOWS HOW AND WHAT TO DO ON THE RUN AND 90% OF THE TIME ALL OR MOST OF YOUR DOGS WILL GET CUT DOWN AND THE HOG GETS AWAY WITH NO EARS THEN ITS O SH** THE NEXT TIME U GET HIM STOP AND U DONT HAVE A GUN WITH U THEN YOU HAVE MORE CUT DOGS.....
                                                              SO I THIN I WOULD LET MY BULLDOG GO WITHIN 5 YARD AN CAN SEE THE HOG

Lamont Roberts
Giddings TX
979-540-8170
Scott
Boar Slayer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2012, 07:40:48 am »

In that type of terrain, I personally would hold the bulldogs. No right or wrong answer though...If you want to dance, sometimes you have to pay the band.
ARhogdogs
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2012, 01:50:44 pm »

Let the dogs run him till his hooves fall off. If they ain't bayed solid I ain't sending no bulldogs period. If my dogs ain't got the grit to stop em or have the bottom to stay hooked till he stops then im culling out and moving to another line of dogs.

But I do know how thick it is in your country this Arkansas boy couldn't keep his feet under him!
RyanTBH
Hog Doom

www.texasboarhounds.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2012, 04:08:04 pm »

I agree with AR... I like to have a solid bay before cutting anything loose. I want to have the "leaves shakin'", as Jimmy says...  Grin I want to know that they are not going to make it break again at least until it sees the CD coming. My dogs are little on the rough side, and will try anything around their size... so if it's bigger than them they are normally backed up hammering. It only takes a couple seconds for things to go really wrong out there in the woods, and especially if you are using CDs... We also use two CDs most of the time, and that makes it a lot easier on them stretching it out and getting the job done. I try to give them the best chance possible to catch, and if I don't think (at that time) that it is possible then I will ease on in until I feel that I am close enough. You really never know out there though, and sometimes you have to make decisions that you normally wouldn't make. I have had the creek thing happen before though, and was about to cut the CD loose, headed closer instead, and ended up crossing 4 creeks before we even got close enough to let the CD go. Judgement couldn't be a better word for it because you have to figure out what, not only YOU are ready for, but you DOGS are ready for as well. Jimmy, I honestly think that this comes all the way back to knowing your dogs very well... how they sound in different situations, and how they can handle a bad hog. Good post!  Cool

Do work, make chit happen, and never stop moving forward.
SCHitemHard
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2012, 05:18:08 pm »

id start to bay and shoot if thats the case.

Matt H
Cleveland, OH
dwhd93
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2012, 06:31:04 pm »

id start to bay and shoot if thats the case.
harder to do in this type of terrain. Not always gonna get a clear shot especially this time of year hog could be backed up in a big vine thicket taller than your head definitely makes the goin hard with no breeze and stail air. From March to bout October everything is green as can be and thick thick thick.

Country boy can survive
Black Smith
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2012, 09:31:32 pm »

I would wait till i got close. Thwe reason i say that is i lost the best catch dog i ever had, i loaned him out they turned him loose to early he fought the hog over ten minutes when they caught the hog one bulldog was dead mine still was alive but had his guts cut open and did not make it.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: