October 20, 2024, 04:59:44 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HELP DOG ???  (Read 3727 times)
hogdown
Bay Dog

View Profile
« on: September 17, 2012, 12:21:04 am »

WHY DO PEOPLE HUNT HELP DOGS ? I UNDERSTAND A RCD, BUT NOT A HELP DOG.I'M NOT BEING AN ***,ITS JUST A QUESTION. 

Lamont Roberts
Giddings TX
979-540-8170
hillbilly
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 12:26:49 am »

Maybe because they want more dogs on the hunt and don't have that many good dogs. IDK

Lets go we burning daylight
hogdown
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 12:42:05 am »

TO ME ,THE MORE DOGS ON THE GROUND PUT'S MORE PRESSURE ON A HOG AND THEN YOUR ON A FOOT RACE.IF YOU DON'T HAVE ALL RUF DOGS, AND SOMETIMES THAT DON'T WORK.

Lamont Roberts
Giddings TX
979-540-8170
hillbilly
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 12:44:47 am »

i agree with you. I don't like more than 3 bay dogs down at a time

Lets go we burning daylight
hogdown
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 01:01:03 am »

YA AND 4 IS THE MOST, AND CAN BE TO MUCH DOG POWER ON THE GROUND. FOR ONE MAN   

Lamont Roberts
Giddings TX
979-540-8170
dirtydeez
Catch Dog

Lake Texoma Hog dogs

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 02:41:37 am »

I put 4 baydogs on the ground and a rcd still got a cd on lead. Around here if u got 2 or 3 loose bayin dogs on the ground and bay u aint gunna stop it with lead in cds u got 2 have sum gritt on the ground.help dog might not strike but is at every bay hammered down.   
hogdown
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 04:43:16 am »

O OK SO WHY NOT HAVE ALL 5 DOGS RUFF, AND WILL STRIKE AND STOP ONE BY IT'S SELF. YA'LL WILL STRIKE MORE HOGS,AND COVER MORE WOODS, AND IF IT ONLY ONE HOG  IN A 1,000 ACERS. YOUR % OF YOUR DOGS STRIKEN IT GO'S UP.

Lamont Roberts
Giddings TX
979-540-8170
hoghunter71409
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 06:31:51 am »

It is all about the strength of the pack.  I hunt anywhere from 2-4 dogs.  My dogs find and bay; however, this weekend I sure wish I had a couple extra help dogs.  My four dogs could not get a pack of 18 hogs stopped and bayed.  My four dogs tried to bay several times in a pine sapppling thicket and in a big slough, but I just didnt have enough stopping power.  If I had a couple of good help dogs, I could have dumped them out when I saw the hogs cross.  When my dogs finally stopped, they all ran between 8-12 miles and one hads the pads worn off.

If a guy wants help dogs and they work for him that is good enough for me.  Not everybody wants and needs four dogs that will all go seperate ways.  If a helop dog works for a mans pack and he catches hog that is his decision.
easttexasoutlaw33
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 08:59:19 am »

O OK SO WHY NOT HAVE ALL 5 DOGS RUFF, AND WILL STRIKE AND STOP ONE BY IT'S SELF. YA'LL WILL STRIKE MORE HOGS,AND COVER MORE WOODS, AND IF IT ONLY ONE HOG  IN A 1,000 ACERS. YOUR % OF YOUR DOGS STRIKEN IT GO'S UP.

A few of the places i hunt have been hunted alot over the years and one dog is not stopping a hog unless it just catches it. By adding alittle grit to the mix more often then not it is either caught or makes the hog stand and fight. All rough dogs works for some but you go through dogs fast and alot of staple guns LOL. I have found i can strike just as many hogs with 2 dogs on the ground as an entire group of strike dogs. more often than not a group of strike dogs will break off and do their own thing and i want them to work as a team each dog has a reason it is in my pack. Help dogs are used to fill a void in someone pack that is lacking that maybe all they do good but it completes the pack
PLP
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 09:08:15 am »

I've always said that too many " strike dogs" on the ground leads to broken bays or multiple bays that can't be worked. I either like some help dogs or strike dogs that will honor another dogs bay. Problem I find is that the good strike dogs ive had were all independent and wouldn't honor. So some sluffer me too types are handy to have around. Basically it just boils down to hunting style and personal preference.
halfbreed
Hog Doom

MR. Whitten

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 09:24:51 am »

HEY ' !!!!!! HOG DOWN  QUIT HOLLERIN 

hattak at ofi piso

469-658-2534
Hogsnatchers
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 09:43:48 am »

I agree with PLP, most of the time good strike dogs are more independent and won't honor the bays, they want their own hog and usually has dogs and hogs going everywhere with no good results in the end. Got on a nice boar this past weekend and had 4 dogs on the ground and one good pup ended up with two on the boar and three out chasing their own, left the bulldog at the truck because the dogs are rough so we figured it would be a caught hog...wrong if we would have had my little help dog gyp he wouldve been caught or if I would have shot straight he would have been on the ground instead of running after being hit.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
KevinN
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 10:05:17 am »

To many variables to answer that question intelligently. What kind of dogs do you run? What's the terrain like? Do the hogs bay or run? Do you lead in or run rcd's? This topic has been covered many times. You tell me you dont have help dogs in your yard I respectfully say your definition of a help dog is different than mine.

"Let's talk some philosophy"
Peachcreek
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2012, 10:27:58 am »

To many variables to answer that question intelligently. What kind of dogs do you run? What's the terrain like? Do the hogs bay or run? Do you lead in or run rcd's? This topic has been covered many times. You tell me you dont have help dogs in your yard I respectfully say your definition of a help dog is different than mine.

i agree Kevin... I have hunted with a few people that have made my best strike dog look like a help dog Grin I am sure some people have felt the same way hunting with me. to me its all about what YOU want to feed and hunt.

www.peachcreekcatahoulas.com

Victor dog food dealer. Cleveland Texas
KevinN
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2012, 10:29:40 am »

i agree Kevin... I have hunted with a few people that have made my best strike dog look like a help dog Grin I am sure some people have felt the same way hunting with me. to me its all about what YOU want to feed and hunt.

Amen brother!

halfbreed
Hog Doom

MR. Whitten

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2012, 10:33:06 am »

ha ha all my dogs are help dogs  lol they HELP me kill hogs  .

hattak at ofi piso

469-658-2534
halfbreed
Hog Doom

MR. Whitten

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2012, 10:38:51 am »

kevin you should have come got that dog i was tryin to give ya . first time out he got on a hog and run it plum out of hearing . i guess them boys didn't want to follow him and their dogs couldn't keep up i guess . i hope he turns up i knew he was gonna go the distance  lol . quit letting your ol -lady tell ya what color dog to get  lmao  j/k . hell call me

hattak at ofi piso

469-658-2534
magnuml
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2012, 04:48:52 pm »

I've always said that too many " strike dogs" on the ground leads to broken bays or multiple bays that can't be worked. I either like some help dogs or strike dogs that will honor another dogs bay. Problem I find is that the good strike dogs ive had were all independent and wouldn't honor. So some sluffer me too types are handy to have around. Basically it just boils down to hunting style and personal preference.
+1. I agree.
Arkansas Frog
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2012, 04:53:51 pm »

That HalfBreed is full of Chit than a Christmas Turkey!!!! I LOVE his post.

Frog
KevinN
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2012, 05:20:38 pm »

Lol, halfbreed culls his women faster than he does his dogs!! Call me a liar Robert! Lol

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: