October 07, 2024, 04:22:44 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 17hmr  (Read 1328 times)
chestonmcdowell
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« on: November 27, 2012, 10:33:16 am »

Has anyone really done any distance shooting with a 17 hmr. I've heard mixed answers on its accuracy. And if u own one what's it's set up

Mathews mission venture
Purebreedcolt
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 10:39:50 am »

I own a savage with a weaver grand slam 4-12 I think is what the scope is.  I love mine. If no wind I am deadly to 200 or a little more.  VARY accurate in no wind.  Is deadly on most everything I have shot it just explodes and sends lots of small fragments through the vitals. Shot lots of coyotes to coon to hogs with mine and while you have to pick ur shots I highly recommend for a fun accurate some cheaper round to shoot.
bob
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 11:08:15 am »

I have a marlin 17 hmr with a bull barrel , it has a BSA sweet 17 scope , you zero it at 100 yrds and can adjust the scope out to 300 with the top turant , if there is no wind it is deadly at long ranges , I have shot birds at 200 , it explodes them , one heck of a small game gun , very fun to shoot or hunt with
Hogsnatchers
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 11:54:36 am »

Love mine, got a centerpoint Walmart scope on it gonna upgrade one day but head shots on squirrels out to 100-150yds are no problem dime size or smaller groups at 100 and have made kills out to 300 on small game but wind does kick em real easy. Mines a savage with a bull barrel just got a marlin but haven't shot it any yet.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
Swine-Stalker
Alpha Dog

Cody Everett

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 12:41:07 pm »

Go with the savage with acu-trigger. If someone were telling me, I never would have believed them... After sighting it in, I took 3 of the 4 thumbtacks off in 4 shots at 100 yds. The 17gr ammo is extremely acurate in little to no wind. 20gr not so much. I highly recommend testing out the acu-trigger on the savage 17hmr's. Light and crisp 3lb trigger pull and is adjustable to 6lbs. Also look into the tactical scopes. You can get a decent one for $100

We'll all be equal under the grass, God's got a heaven for country trash

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work
for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."
chestonmcdowell
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 12:45:15 pm »

Yah I'm looking into the savage btvs 17. As a scope I'm looking at the Nikon prostaff rimfire with the distance reticule thing. I looked at the bsa sweet 17 which model should I get?

Mathews mission venture
Swine-Stalker
Alpha Dog

Cody Everett

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 01:22:26 pm »

This is personal experience, not to be confused with expert advice  Grin. In the end it is you who will be stuck with the choice. I had the savage 93r17btvss nice gun but heavy with a scope, bull barrell, wood stock, sling, and bipod  . I had the Pine Ridge tactical and my father in law had the sweet 17. Most important is that I suggest going with one that has the yardage turrent at the top and windage at the side. You sight it in at 100yds, remove turrent dials and line up to lines again and your good. your zero line for yardage is actually 100 yds and the zero line for windage is no wind... Then when it is at 200yds just turn the dial to 200yds and fire away. The ones with yardage turrents will fallow the 17grain bullents almost perfectly. The ones with yardage line recticles might get a little confusing. Hope this helps

We'll all be equal under the grass, God's got a heaven for country trash

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work
for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."
H.Wilson
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 05:55:28 pm »

17 fireball shoots at 17 bullet through a centerfield 22-250 casing and boy let me tell that little bullet is scooting with all that powder pushing it I'm not sure but I thing mine was pushing any where from 3800 to 4200 fps according to the typ of bulletsive shot nutria off the lake from up to 450 yards with no wind but I have a tipoff and a few other things on mine to help with accuracy

It might be lonely at the top but it's a bitch on the bottom
mod93dirt
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 12:41:16 am »

Ive got the Marlin with the bull barrel. Ive got a cheap simmons 3-9x40 scope on it. On a calm day, it will shoot ragged holes at 100yds. Wind effects this round big time.

I think of this gun as more of a novelty item. If you wanna kill squirrels or rabbits at less than 100, it is a good gun. Any bigger game or longer distances, I dont think it is a great choice. I have killed a coyote at a paced off 160yds, but that was just an oppurtunity shot. Seen the dog in the pasture and it was the only gun I had. I have never shot it that far,but I know I am dead on at 100,  so I held just a little over its head, and watched it drop right there in the scope. But like I said, it wouldnt be my choice to hunt coyotes or anything bigger than rodents. They are definitely fun guns to shoot because of their accuracy, I just think they serve a minimal purpose for actually hunting.

Show me a good loser and I will show you A loser!!
chestonmcdowell
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 06:43:55 am »

If I got one I would probly just use it on the trap line or squirrel's and birds and the occasional turtle but I want to be able to shoot about 200 if possible  more.

Mathews mission venture
ironheadknls21
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012, 08:15:55 pm »

I bought a marlin bull barrel stainless the year they came out. I put a 3x9 Redfield on it and it has been in my truck ever since. I don't have a problem with sticking the crosshairs on anything out to 200yds. I shoot the Hornady ammo and its shootin a inch high at 100yds......
PLP
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2012, 11:02:48 pm »

The hollow points have a little more drift than than the ballistic tipped rounds. But like the others have said anything inside 200 is a smoked duck. They may have quit making it by now but Remington had a 597 model that was awful and unsafe. Rugged, savage, and marlin all make nice ones. Bolt action of course.
chestonmcdowell
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2012, 05:40:02 pm »

what do yall think would be the best scope magnification for the cheapest price. i want to shoot atleast to 200 yards. and any ideas on what scope to get that has milldots. or else i might as well get another 22.

Mathews mission venture
chestonmcdowell
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2012, 05:42:32 pm »

this may be a stupid question. do yall think the nikon rimfire p22 2-7x32 bdc with millets would work right.

Mathews mission venture
Purebreedcolt
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2012, 06:28:08 pm »

Honestly and while there are good cheap scopes go with nikon burris weaver leapold ziss trijacon or the likes.  I like splitting hairs and for me that means a minimum of 12 power.  This gun can do it in calm weather and I want it to be on every time I shoot.  Spend money on quality optics it is worth the extra money and you won't be sorry.  I have had bad luck with bsa tasco simmons etc of the cheap scopes IF I bought cheaper it would be bushnell. This has been my experience and when you shoot at something with a cheap scope and it aint on you will cuss trust me been ther done that.
mtarrant23
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2012, 07:25:39 pm »

If you go with the hmr I will defiantly recommend the BSA sweet 17 but you should also look into the new 17 hornet I have my gun dealer looking for me one I love my hmr but the hornet is going to be just extreme
PLP
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2012, 08:37:19 pm »

I definitely agree that for the most part good optics are worth the money. I personally like the Leupold vx2 . Full 1 in tube and available in almost any reticle.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: