October 07, 2024, 02:29:51 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: need advice asap  (Read 744 times)
evandavis3
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« on: November 28, 2012, 10:44:12 pm »

ive got 3 wild hogs 25-35 lbs that i bought bout a month ago. when i 1st got em they would run like crazy when i went in the pen. not as bad now. i came home today to see my gate open. i figured they were gone for sure. to my surprise they were walking around and not going nuts. i managed to get them back in the pen. my concern is my gilt which also happens to be the smallest is now all of a sudden just walking around with her head down and tends to walk in circles like shes confused or something, i noticed she will just bump into the fence like she dont see it at times also.  and while she was out i was able to walk up to her pick her up and not even a squeel. any suggestions on what it could be and what i should do. the other 2 are just fine. i also have 2 show pigs that are worth alot of money is why im mainly concerned. they are in a  different pen but in the same area.
PLP
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 10:48:31 pm »

Sounds like a sick pig. I'd separate it from the others until it squared away or died. No sense risking a contagious outbreak.
evandavis3
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 11:00:21 pm »

i was going to do that first thing tomorrow. was gonna do when i noticed it this evening but it was dark and all i had was a flashlight. its weird she was fine and dandy yesterday running when i went in the pen and then today boom all of a sudden this. ive got my show pigs which is what im really concerned about in a barn. they cant even see the wild pigs. how long should i wait til i should just shoot her
PLP
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 11:07:58 pm »

If she can't get up to get away from u or wont stand for long then she's done for. As long as she's moving around then there's hope.
dub
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 11:08:34 pm »

I might run the pig in for testing of known contagous diseases. If you are worried. If there is something you can catch it early.

"...A man who has nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance at being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself..." John Stuart Mill
evandavis3
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 11:30:11 pm »

shes walking around just slower than usual and with her head down
bigo
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 01:02:37 pm »

Walking in circles is a symptom of pseudorabies in hogs. It is highly contagious to dogs, hogs and other animals. If you take it to be tested and the state gets hold of it, you will be in for many headaches.

The older I get, the better I was.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between a dog and a man.
         Mark Twain
evandavis3
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 08:56:51 pm »

i came home today and noticed another hog not acting the same way but was slow in movement. in the best interest of my show pigs and not wanting to make the wild hogs suffer i put them down.
PLP
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 09:00:30 pm »

That was a safe bet. It's hard to see good money go down the drain but it could have been much worse. IMO a good move. Better safe than sorry.
dub
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 09:48:00 pm »

Wild hogs? I would just put them all down and bleach the whole area.

"...A man who has nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance at being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself..." John Stuart Mill
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: