September 19, 2024, 09:39:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: hoghunting on horseback pics please  (Read 906 times)
goose
Strike Dog

when the necks are redder life is better

View Profile
« on: January 30, 2013, 07:16:06 am »

got a barn full of good broke horses that are just about bomb proof and a HUGE swamp that is a wma back behind my house that is chalk full of hogs that has fourwheelers trails covering a part of it but there is still so much land that could be accessed by  boat or on foot and ive been thinking about hunting it off of horseback i got a boat and have hunted it a good bit  and the parts that have 4wheeler trails get dogged pretty good and we got 100 acres down the road from the house that joins it as well that i can acess it without having to worry about running into anybody....just been trying to figure out how to ride my bulldog on the back of the horse....i been thinking bout attaching a piece of carpet to my saddle pad and letting it stick out behind the saddle for the bulldogs feet to grip into and attaching a rope to the saddle to snap the bulldog to what yall think....has anybody ever done this and do yall have any pics

IF YOU DON'T NEED THEM...THEN DON'T BREED THEM...1-985-516-8431
dblackwell
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 08:13:19 am »

I've got a little 35lb dog that will ride in the saddle w me. It's not hard to lead one tho. May take a while for your dog to figure out to stay out from in front but its not bad. Just loop the lead on your horn and go just do it at home first to make sure you won't have a rodeo on your hands in the woods.
goose
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 08:13:40 am »

or just pics of dogs riding on horses

goose
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 08:17:50 am »

ive got a little gyp about 40 lbs and my male is about 50 lbs and i hav a great handle on them we background over a 1000 yearlings a year on our place all throughout the year and the dogs are broke off of stock and the horses are always used to go catch and pen cattle we will just throw some cur dogs up in the trailer with them its just the woods are kinda thick around here and im afraid that leading them would be an issue with the constant battle of tangling

AW
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 08:38:25 am »

When you get one broke to lead good you will be suprised how good they can stay in position to not tangle up but sometimes its going to happen.
bob
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 10:32:13 am »

We've hunted horse back a lot  , my bulldog stays right next to
Us on the ground , he's not tied he just follows , a e - collar fixed this , I can walk threw a whole herd of cows with no problem , not All bulldogs are this way
Lance
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 11:19:47 am »

Horse back is my favorite way to hunt even though I don't do it as much as I used to. Your little 40 pound gyp should be perfect for a saddle dog. Just carry it in front of you in your saddle ride on top of the bay and drop it, caught hog! If you choose to lead it then make sure it won't catch your horse. I've seen a few rodeos when people thought their catch dog was horse broke, myself included. Just because it won't catch your horse while walking does'nt mean it won't when your in a lope. While horse breaking a dog I ride with a bull whip in my hand. If the dog looks catchy towards my horse then I pop it on the head with the whip. By the time you can get your E collar control out and push the button then the horse is already caught. Most smart dogs will learn to get right beside your horse or under it while in thick brush so that it does'nt get tangled up in the brush. If you loop the end of your lead over your saddle horn then make sure you remove it from the horn while crossing creeks, gulleys and rough terain. About 8 years ago I was going down the bank of a deep dry creek bed and my horse lost it's footing and we rolled down about a 20 foot bank. When we hit the bottom somehow the dog lead had half hitched around my leg and the horse jumped up and took off. She drug me for a half mile down that dry creek bed. I got knocked out at some point and about all I remember is wakeing up in alot of pain with that horse sitting on my stomach and the bull dog sitting on my chest. She was a big wide built mare and when the creek bed narrowed down she tried to go in between two trees and got stuck. She could'nt get free and sulled up and sat on me! My buddies caught up and cut me free and got her off of me and pulled her out from between the two trees. If it was'nt for those two trees then she would probably still be dragging me and that bull dog. It was by far the worst horse wreck I've ever had. Good luck it's an awesome way to hunt and I hope the info will help.

A scared dog dont get no meat !
bob
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 01:42:02 pm »

Ive seen craig carry one horse back after multiple bays but no pics of that ,
peaty standing on brother wanting some luv

jorge and one of craigs old CDs that just followed us behind the horses
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: