October 07, 2024, 04:23:40 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: range question  (Read 612 times)
wildhog
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« on: February 14, 2013, 08:15:20 am »

is there anyway to get your dogs to hunt on out to 3 or 4 hundred yards ,i had to start hunting from a utv because of a wreck and now my dogs want to stay 20 to 50 yards, any help
Kid7
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 08:24:04 am »

I hav the problem of them not coming back to check in! Here recently they've just started goin and goin and not stopping til they find something. Not so great for the places I hunt Lol.
Sounds like we need to hav a breeding program and meet in the middle!

But on your problem the only thing I could think of is just start hunting them in fresh sign and eventually they'll start hunting better mayb??

Seth Gillespie
Lance
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 08:35:43 am »

Sometimes it takes awhile for dogs to get use to hunting with four wheelers or UTVs'. A few years ago I started hunting on 4 wheelers and for several hunts I wanted to shoot every dog I had. I had always hunted off horses and that is all they knew. After a month or so they went back to their usual selves and started rolling out again. It's the same concept if they are use to you hunting on foot. It may not seem like a big deal to us but it is a big change for a dog. Try going to a really good spot and just sit there. It may take a couple of hours but they will probably get bored and take off hunting. That's what I started doing and it worked for me. After awhile your wheeler should have no effect on them.

A scared dog dont get no meat !
M Bennet
Hog Doom

LETS ROLL OUT BOY'S

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 08:38:20 am »

put them on the back of the utv and let them wind off of it

Monty Bennet
doggin
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 09:53:26 am »

I agree with Mr bennet let'em wind some
SwampHunter
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 07:45:41 pm »

Drive slow an pull up some spot that looks good an park let the dogs get boerd an they will start gettin out
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: