September 29, 2024, 10:25:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: less dogs no broke bays  (Read 1519 times)
bob
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« on: April 15, 2013, 09:48:10 am »

I tried this theroy out this weekend , we had three dogs and one would not hunt so lets say we had 2 loose bay dogs ,I thought the hog would bay with less pressure , but he ran and ran , maybe the rough pack  theroy would of been the choice here , less loose dogs didnt work at all and we walked are rear off to never catch up
AnotherRunner
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 11:52:56 am »

I tried this theroy out this weekend , we had three dogs and one would not hunt so lets say we had 2 loose bay dogs ,I thought the hog would bay with less pressure , but he ran and ran , maybe the rough pack  theroy would of been the choice here , less loose dogs didnt work at all and we walked are rear off to never catch up
it hasn't for us either. Seems the more baying the more they bay up

Catch em, tie em, drag em out!
KevinN
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 11:58:18 am »

I think there are more variables to it than that.

Terrain plays a part....whether the hog has a place to set up that he feels relatively safe. Then of course just the hog itself....whether its been dogged before.

Sometimes a hog is content to be bayed by a dog or two until he hears you or the bulldogs coming.

"Let's talk some philosophy"
BA-IV
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 12:19:12 pm »

Hogs like that will always make you second guess what you should have done.

Any hog that's walking bad on the dogs, you'll never catch up on foot so I don't even try anymore.  Some hogs just kno how to work dogs and put them at a disadvantage.
mod93dirt
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 12:58:23 pm »

I tried this theroy out this weekend , we had three dogs and one would not hunt so lets say we had 2 loose bay dogs

Thats not entirely true Bob, my dog hunted hard for a nice spot to lay down every time we quit walking!  Her hunting issues arent an issue anymore

As for that hunt, I still cant believe that hog ran like that as thick as it was. I sure thought it would've found a spot to hold its ground. I also think that he was a public land dog thats been run before and knew the game. I dont know if more/rougher dogs would've have stopped it. Lookin back, I wish i'd have brought my yellow dog though to see if it makes a difference.

Show me a good loser and I will show you A loser!!
AnotherRunner
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 01:43:01 pm »

True, when they get in that pig trot its like dogs don't even try and stop em

Catch em, tie em, drag em out!
hogcatcher
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 01:48:11 pm »

Heres my theory on running hogs.  A hogs goin  to run when a hog wants to run no matter if you have ruff dogs or loose dogs.  Seen it, tried it both ways.  Can they b caught yes they can but its usually because the hog runs out of gas,  not likely but can happen or they get their self in a bind like deep creeks, bad azz fence, thick brush and so on.  This is just some of my thinkings on them.  
Yelladogwreckincrew
Strike Dog

curr dogs and caught hogs

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 03:04:36 pm »

Heres my theory on running hogs.  A hogs goin  to run when a hog wants to run no matter if you have ruff dogs or loose dogs.  Seen it, tried it both ways.  Can they b caught yes they can but its usually because the hog runs out of gas,  not likely but can happen or they get their self in a bind like deep creeks, bad azz fence, thick brush and so on.  This is just some of my thinkings on them.  

X2

hillbilly
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 04:02:33 pm »

everytime a hog gets away we all think coulda woulda shoulda.
makes no difference how thick the country is a hog can run wide open through it

Lets go we burning daylight
bob
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 04:07:20 pm »

Brandon, I was not wanting to bash your dog  so I hope you didn't take it that way. Not all dogs will hunt and I've had a few   ,   Please forgive me if I affended  you in anyway
mod93dirt
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2013, 04:23:00 pm »

Shoot no Bob, Not offended in the slightest way, I was just trying to make a joke about her. Guess I should have put an LOL after my sentence. Heck, no one can rip on her any more than I was doing the other night. Like I said before we went hunting, she was on the cut list anyways, and she showed me all I needed to see the other night. Candy and Taco both did a great job of stickin with that hog.

bob
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2013, 04:25:46 pm »

We are planning another this Friday Brandon.   Your welcome to go.  More then likely were headed north on atvs
dub
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2013, 06:54:34 pm »

Those hot and run hogs are hard no matter what. I have only found RCD's to work. The rough dogs just get hit harder. Forget rough you need a dog that will flat out catch on first sight for that hog. But like said there are many factors so don't worry about one hog.

"...A man who has nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance at being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself..." John Stuart Mill
Bowtech99
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2013, 07:28:20 pm »

2 pits that hunt, never bark, straight ear. That'll put a stop to them runners. My theory at least lol
Kid7
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2013, 07:52:09 pm »

My thoughts are dogs with no bark straight catch... OR dogs that will not put teeth on a hog AT ALL until you get there or the cd gets there and have alot of bottom. I run 2 loose dogs with no grit whatsoever and alot of bottom usually and even tho a hog may decide to run I know they didn't busy the bay and the hog will stand and bay eventually

Seth Gillespie
Bowtech99
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2013, 08:02:09 pm »

What!? Giving up hunt and nose? Maybe givin up some nose but still got plenty of bottom. Depends on where you hunt. If im hunting feilds I dont want them to go 1000+yds , property lines change way too fast around here. My pit will hunt out to 300+/- And wont quit till i stop him or hog does. exactly what i want.

i got dogs that got nose, but i want to stop a runner, I dont want them to hear a bark, If you dont stop him within first 100yds its gonna go on and on and on and on. Again not what i want.

So yea, for me a little loss in nose is completly fine, but i dont believe im losin bottom.

Me and my pit clocked 18 miles on garmin this weekend marking sign and checking different swamps. He stayed close, cast out 300 or so yds, if nothing was hot he'd come back and check in, again like i want. he did jump a a deer but he got tired of swimming lol. Just my opinions....
bob
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2013, 08:19:54 pm »

I would like to think bay eventually but I have the dogs  you described. Loose , and lots of bottom  and can go for miles , they have been off since youth turkey  , not really long.  I regret not going back home and returning with to more fresh strike dogs because I had left the best at home , and nailing him  the track would have been a hour or so old , I believe this is the third time we've met , once I turned the CDs loose to get hung up and he bust runs two miles , finally catch the bulldogs , there hot , she'd vest and hook it to the bay ,  I called my dog off and left him because the bulldogs weren't ready for him in my book , they were hot and shot , I should of shot him , I ran a hog another time in the same area several miles
mod93dirt
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2013, 09:06:49 pm »

Bob, when you want to hit that spot again, I'll bring the running catch dog. You should bring camo, that's your roughest dog, right? And I don't know what Marvin has for rough dogs. My yella dog has never been in a huge long race, but I know hes got WAY more stick than Winnie had. And you've seen what he does in a pen. Would be interesting to see what a rough crew does vs a loose crew on the same ground. The dog I brought was usually pretty rough, but unfortunately for her she decided not to hunt that night.

The more I think about the other night, I think it was just a case of a very well educated public land hog. I have been on several similar races down at Cherokee with some pretty rough dogs where the hogs just bee lined it over towards the safety of Gruber once the dogs were on them. No fault of y'all's dogs at all on Friday night. That hog was intent on runnin and that's what he did. Had we had a few suicidal nut ripping dogs we may have got it stopped, but I believe that hog knew what he was doing and had the upper hand the whole time.

Muddogkennels
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2013, 09:56:06 am »

i like my bay dogs to be ruff no back steps ready to take a hit no fear from a charging hog so no circles,,, i like them to have super glue on the hog make them stand to fight.  { cut collar an bay vest}  but they know to bay after they are standing bay if hit by the hog to bit at the same time it strikes fear in a hog make them think about charging . 
Yelladogwreckincrew
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2013, 11:20:28 am »

Strikes fear in them huh?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: