September 20, 2024, 01:51:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: German Shepherds  (Read 942 times)
MCK
Bay Dog

View Profile
« on: July 31, 2009, 12:32:53 am »

Hey guys just wondering if anybody out there used any german shepherds.   If so how did they work, where they aggressive too much too little? just wondering let me know.
Noah
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 10:52:52 pm »

My Ellie was a German Shepherd cross... she was game as game could be, rough on the hind end of a hog but loose baying as you could ask for... all with a as much nose as you could want.    If I can find another shepherd that is built right, I can guarantee I'll try it.

From what I've found, the Belgian Shepherds seem to be the more "performance" oriented of the shepherds.  I've not yet been able to find anyone that actively uses theirs on livestock... It seems to be either protection(probably too catchy... but maybe not...) or show(conformation without proven function).

Which to choose, of the two, so far has been a crap shoot for me....

« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 10:58:18 pm by Noah » Logged

Welcome to the Gun Show

Noah Metzger 352 316 8005
MCK
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 12:47:29 am »

Maybe a dumb question here Noah but what do u mean by built right? also I've read some of your posts and know u know what your talking about so heres another question for ya.  What type dog do run and what do u look for in a dog to know if you want to keep it or cull it?  just wondering just starting out and trying to learn as much as can. Thanks appreciate an help or tips, advice, etc..
Noah
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 06:13:57 am »

Thanks for the compliments MCK.  I certainly don't know everything, but this is what I've learned so far...

As far as Shepherds go, "built right" means watch the rear end on the american bred dogs.  The ones with the severe "low rider" back end are not gonna be a suited for high speed pursuit.   The Belgian, or european bred dogs seem to have better structure as far as working dogs go.

I currently have 3 bird x cur females I'm using, but I don't care how a dog is bred as long as it's built right and is game.  Here's a picture for reference of what I look for structure wise.  Deep in the chest(lung), adequate muscle(but not excessive), 50-70#'s(big enough to make a big hog pay attention).  The hind end is more important to me than about anything... it's the first thing I watch when I'm looking at a prospect.  If you've ever seen a puppy, or a bulldog, run and you noticed that the back end just looks like it's kicking out of gear... tracking sideways funny... that's all I need to see to know the dog won't be fast enough for me.  I want the dog to move like a leopard, so he must have the build to do it.  I look for dogs that move like a rabbit in a briar patch.

"Gameness" is a must for me, this does not necessarily mean catchy however.  In fact, I'm more interested in "non catchy" dogs now than ever.  Ellie was a prime example of a true bay dog, she was not catchy AT ALL, but she bayed many, many hogs by herself.  She was hell on a hog's rear end though... I saw her drag a big hog down many times, holding on to a ham hock until the hog would stop to fight... then she'd just step back and bay from 10 feet.  Perfect.  That's why she lasted so long and rarely got cut.  Two out of 3 of the dogs I have left are too catchy.  Sure they catch hogs, but it's just a matter of time before they get killed.

The dog pictured above, Shiner, is just like Ellie bay wise... hopefully she'll make her mentor proud.

Welcome to the Gun Show

Noah Metzger 352 316 8005
hillbilly
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 07:03:34 am »

Friend of mine has a Germand Shepard X Cur cross. Breeding was accidental but he kept a puppy it turned out to be a great help dog.

Lets go we burning daylight
BigAinaBuilt
Alpha Dog

TDHA Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 08:02:10 pm »

Thats a leggy dog Noah!  Smiley Nice! As far as Shepherds go for hog hunting I have a shepherd/Lab that I run with my pack and she just tracks and calls for back up unless the pig decides to run then she is definately game to stop them  and sink some teeth in their rear! I have a uncle who has a pure Malinois as his Stud that he crosses with various guys "top" bitches and have had the oppurtunity to hunt behind a few of these dogs. I will say they make good hog dogs when crossed but males will be alot more aggressive and prone to injury!

Competition is not the domination of others, But rather the pursuit of excellence within each of us.
MCK
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 08:21:25 pm »

Thanks guys really appreciate the help and anymore that maybe out there.
NThoghunter
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 08:39:14 pm »

Luke still findin hogs for me, he is a shepherd/rocky mountain flagtail breed Grin

North Texas Hog Hunters
T.D.H.A member
jdt
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2009, 09:35:48 pm »

just curious nt , what is a r m flagtail
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: