September 27, 2024, 11:54:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP SUPPORT HUNTERS HARVEST....

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Skinny Dog question  (Read 480 times)
hogdogger98
Strike Dog

View Profile
« on: October 13, 2013, 08:40:10 pm »

I had a ybmc female give to me that is 2 years old. She had pups 6 months ago and the guy didn't take care of her and she is very very skinny. I don't mind seeing ribs but you can see this dogs backbone and hips. I feed value pack 24/20 and my dogs tend to get fat on it. My question is what will make a dog gain weight fast?
Shotgun wg
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 08:55:24 pm »

Mix scraps with the dog food. That's what I would do along with wormer. We use to do this to our deer dogs during deer season to keep them going and up to weight.

Shotgun
Arkansas

Shotgun
BBBB hoggers
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 09:36:02 pm »

Put at least one raw egg on your food every time you feed. He'll get fat and shiny
MrsLouisianaHogDog
Hog Doom

*Official WWT Scorer*

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 11:03:54 am »

I feed the same feed and my dogs will indeed put a lot of weight on fast if I'm not careful, lol. There is an old recipe that has been around for a while. I have personally used this recipe a few times on a rescue dog, as well as bitches off of pups that had a hard time putting weight back on, and I works amazing everytime. You don't cook this, you just mix everything together thoroughly, and make meat balls out of it. You can freeze the excess, and keep one baggy a day in the fridge for what you'll feed that day. Give her these meatballs in addition to her normal amount of feed. I GUARANTEE you'll see drastic improvement. Also, be sure she is wormed thoroughly. Here's the ingredients:

This is the original recipe:
10 pounds hamburger meat (the cheapest kind)
1 lg. box of Total cereal
1 lg. box oatmeal
1 jar of wheat germ
1 1/4 cup veg oil
1 1/4 cup of unsulphured molasses
10 raw eggs AND shells
10 envelopes of unflavored gelatin
pinch of salt

~Krystale of the Southern Comfort Combine~
www.southerncomfortcombine.webs.com
*Proud member of the Mississippi Hunting Dog Association*
ADBA Safe Dog Program Evaluator and Trainer
dub
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 10:59:21 pm »

I feed all my dogs the same. But I got one that is like you said and it concerns me too. I have stepped up the worming on that dog to every three weeks. It is a yard dog but I am about to kennel the dog so I can feed the dog apart and measure exactly what that dog eats. I may just try that recipe. All the other dogs look fine but just that one and there ain't been no different treatment from the other dogs that run the yard.

"...A man who has nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance at being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself..." John Stuart Mill
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: