October 03, 2024, 04:07:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Catch dogs that never miss  (Read 1457 times)
levibarcus
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« on: February 09, 2014, 08:08:56 pm »

Hello there fellas, I haven't been on here in some time, but I have been pondering something. After having a junky cd miss several hogs this weekend I want to hear about the best cd you have owned or been around. I don't want to hear about the best looking or the dogs that hit like a train. I want to know about the dogs that when you send them to a bay, you know that pretty much every time they will connect and stick. I ESPECIALLY want to hear about the ones that ease into a bay and pick a shot rather than charge in blind. I have only had one, and he caught maybe 20 hogs before he met his match. He was from the pound. I also want to know if these dogs produce similar offspring.

But seek first the kingdom of God and all these things will be provided for you. Matthew 6:33
Jared H.
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 08:23:44 pm »

Levi my little bulldog "Bo" has missed a couple times when he was younger but since he's got older never has a problem( knock on wood). Seems like the older he has got that he plans it out instead of just running in. Ive seen him slow down to a trot on a big Barr the dogs had bayed.  Almost like he was waiting on the right moment. I haven't ever bred him but hope I get the chance.

Jeremiah 16:16

There our two types of pain: The temporary pain of training or the permenant pain of failure. Choose wisely...
ArtHenrey
Alpha Dog

Del Encino Hog Dog's

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 08:28:28 pm »

Yes sir, bought a started pit about 6 months ago got him tuned up, I was in need pretty damn bad! Took a gamble on him he's bout 50lb solid muscle smaller pit but muscled up, love his style! Doesn't try to train roll on a hog at all! Runs 100 mph into bay but within 5 feet from it slows up, looks at what's in front of him grabs left ear only an will not let go! To me that's where it's at! Have had hudge pit try to hit a hog as hard as they can an end up bustin bay! Cd needs to catch smart, an catch hard an not let go! Break stick required on one, is a good one! He's by far best I've had! An had only caught two hogs when I went to get him!

Arturo Villarreal -V
Elgin, tx
512-815-8569
aussie black mouth curs
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 09:02:36 pm »

Saw an old white crossbred dog (what you guys call an RCD) catch 18 boars in two nights on his own once (only dog on the truck), never wore any sort of protection in his whole life, never got cut until he was about 8-9 years old (and that was only once), he wouldn't hunt much but once he was after one it was all over. He was an absolute champion, not a bad bone in his body and a true pigdog.
Bo Pugh
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 09:50:02 pm »

One of the best bulldogs I ever had was a chocolate bulldog about 55lbs kind of a tall dog. Some friends of mine owned him at first. When we would hunt together I would haul him for some reason when I did it seemed like we usually caught a good boar because I like to have got him killed several times and then they started putting a vest on him and he would miss just about every hog and eventually run it down. They was going to cull him so I got him as i knew what he would do I've caught a pile of big hogs with him. I don't run vest on bulldogs so when I started back hunting him he was on. I don't know if it was the vest or not but it sure seemed to be. He wasn't a wide open dog he would just pace all the way and ear everytime. He didn't bark or pull he was laid back until unsnapped. I personally think if a bulldog try's to start catching the nose it's going to miss a good bit more. That may be the case with yours I do not know that but could be

And I had one named Mac he was a red bulldog about 70lbs he was slow but noting but ear. I was hunting in a baypen one time and bayed a earless hog and turned him loose we was sitting there waiting for the catch he never caught so we sent in another bulldog we get to the hog Mac was running circles around it looking for a ear he didn't know what to do without a ear there. He was the hardest locking bulldog I've ever been around his eyes would roll back in his head and it didn't matter what you did it was going to be job getting him off I didn't mind crawling in any thicket behind him. We caught a lot of hogs with him and he wasn't ever cut bad I got to retire him to old age and lack of teeth.
That's about the best two I ever had or been around. The ones I got now will catch but I'm always ready to climb a tree lol I think a lot of the old bulldogs are being bred out now trying to get a certain look because I haven't seen many good ones in a couple years
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 01:21:05 pm »

My buddies and I have a family of dogs that produce the style you are talking about. My old Vegas dog was one of them. He was between 85-90 lbs with a lot of leg. NEVER said a word in the box, on the wheeler, or at in the brush. He walked with me off leash and didn't go until I told him to. When I sent him it wasn't wide open. He would pick his path and be just as quiet and easy not blow through the briars. He would catch either ear, I don't think he decided which one until he laid eyes on the hog and then took the most convenient one. Those last 3,4 or 5 steps he would catch a couple gears. We were talking the other day and none of us could remember a hog that we didn't catch that we sent him to, very accurate. If it broke before he got there, he almost always caught it still. If he didn't have it in about 60-70 yards he came back. I have watched him run off and leave some 45-50 pound dogs to hogs in the wide open. When he ran one down, he would bite it in the butt to stop it then as soon as it did he went to the ear. He was also smart enough to reason. He didn't run straight to a hog that was on the run if it was running across us. He took the angle on them. I could tell him caught hog and make him back up without having to tie him back. He would sit there and watch quiet and be ready to go to the next one when you were done. When he caught it was deep and what I mean by deep was he had the base of the ear as far back in his jaw as he could get it. There was no chewing or regripping. He had as much stamina as needed too. He was good for as many hogs as you needed him for. I have a puppy out of him now that I think is going to be just like him. I'm real excited about her, I can already make her come back to me after he has started to a hog already and she is real quiet. Almost scared to take a chance on getting her killed. She caught a couple times when she was 4.5 - 5 months old. She's about seven months old now so it will be a while before she goes to the woods and she isn't getting to catch anything until her teeth are mature.
t-dog
Lord of the Hogs

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 01:24:52 pm »

I should say too, if they are sent to enough hogs, they are gonna miss one here and there. Sometimes you just can't do anything about circumstances. I know Vegas missed some but they were few enough that none of us could remember them.
andersoncountydogger
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 05:59:37 pm »

I saw one phenomenon I'm sure there is someone else that will back me up he was raised by Scott Hilliard his name was mack he was about 70 lbs bobtail male I've seen other bulldog grab him and he just look at them trotted to a bay never missed we won the Randy bumpers with him last year caught 25 hogs 23 were with him
bob
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 06:43:59 pm »

I have 4 bulldogs that are all great CDs , my male is the best , he catches everything , has figured out to come in at angles , he's getting older now at 6 he's been on hundreds of hogs , he hasn't missed but a couple of time , no worries when Jorge is there
levibarcus
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 07:18:02 pm »

It's cool to hear about these dogs. I know every dog will miss time to time, but I sure hate turing one loose 4-5 times in a hunt to have them hit and the hog break and run. We bayed a good one this weekend, I saw him and when he broke you could hear him for a long ways "growling" as i call it. That deep guttural drawn out grunt of a pissed off mature boar. He ran them through some shoats and got away. I know a lot of bulldogs catch, but I value a good one more than I think a lot of people do. I believe they are as hard to find as good strike dogs. Once you have had one it is hard to be satisfied with one that isn't that good.

But seek first the kingdom of God and all these things will be provided for you. Matthew 6:33
Bo Pugh
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 08:03:21 pm »

Levibarcus you are right they are valuable and I use to think they was a dime a dozen until I was without or had some let go, be crawling into a bay and meet the hog or they see you coming and let go right as you get close or you have a good one bayed and send a new bulldog and hear it start baying too yea a good bulldog is hard to replace
Hog_Hunter_57
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 10:21:38 pm »

I think good bull dog is just  as important a good bay dog. If you are baying and catching not just shooting then a dang good catch dog is very important.
reatj81
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 10:39:12 pm »

T-dog I been thinking about it all evening and I'm almost positive he never missed one, on any hunt I have been on.   
T-dog bread & raised my gyp big momma she posses the same traits that Vegas carries.  Their thinking ability still amazes me all the time.  This year I have been hunting her off leash.  It sure is easy to walk a loose dog threw the woods than it is to Lead one.  I have been amazed at how I can talk to her and her responses.  Not having her on a leash she makes sure she is in every photo.   Lol.   

In the second photo she is in the trailer with the hog tied live beside her.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: