October 02, 2024, 11:32:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Catchdog Options other than Pit  (Read 3778 times)
Bo Pugh
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2014, 08:56:23 pm »

Get you a pair of jag terriors and start them out on catching coons and cats at a young age and they will be straight catch just like a Pit but a lot smaller and them breed one of them to a pitt or ruff dog to get them a little size but you will probably want to start out with about 5 some of them probably won't make it to breeding age lol
DSmith
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2014, 11:27:02 pm »

Thanks for the help and advice, looks like I'm leaning towards an AB? 
Both of these, the male and the female, were fixed and had been for years. 

I should have known better, I am to blame, should have kept them apart in the truck, for sure, the buck stops with me and I told my kids this earlier.  Hard lesson learned and one that could have been easily avoided.  Been a rough day here, so my apologies on the earlier comment to the lady from Louisiana if my reply came across in the wrong way.  My intent by the comment was, there isn't anyone on this board that can kick me any harder that I already have and I certainly deserve it. 

You know, in this sport, we prepare ourselves for when we loose a dog to a hog and we all try to minimize the risk as much as we can, but sometimes it stillhappens and we deal it with it.  I was not prepared for it to happen in my truck by one of my dogs.

Kinda like that decorated Navy SEAL that came home from all of that combat intact, with all of his limbs.  He takes another veteran out to the range to help him and the veteran turns on him and kills him.  That ain't right, but in hindsight,  we can all say to ourselves over a beer, "what was he thinking, giving a loaded gun to a vetaran with severe PTSD?"

I know the sun will come up tomorrow, Lord willing, and I will eventually stop kicking myself, but I'm not giving up on running hogs with my Kemmers and I will continue to use a CD, so I have to begin the search for a replacement, not only for her, but for him as well. 

Hey, if we wanted an easy sport, guess we could take up golf?  Yeah, that ain't happenin'

Floresville, Tx
INABs
Strike Dog

American bulldogs that Work... BRILLIANT!!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2014, 09:27:03 am »

AB and make sure it's a good one from proven stock.  Options are : Scott, Underdog(Bryant), Britt Garcia, Tico at Jam Up.  I am done with breeding for awhile or I would recommend myself lol.   

Do not be afraid, because I am with you.  Do not be intimidated; I am your God.  I will strengthen you.  I will help you.  I will support you with my victorious right hand.   Isaiah 41:10
DSmith
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2014, 09:35:25 am »

I'll be calling Scott this afternoon, thanks. 

Wink

Floresville, Tx
MrsLouisianaHogDog
Hog Doom

*Official WWT Scorer*

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2014, 10:11:31 am »

Thanks for the help and advice, looks like I'm leaning towards an AB? 
Both of these, the male and the female, were fixed and had been for years. 

I should have known better, I am to blame, should have kept them apart in the truck, for sure, the buck stops with me and I told my kids this earlier.  Hard lesson learned and one that could have been easily avoided.  Been a rough day here, so my apologies on the earlier comment to the lady from Louisiana if my reply came across in the wrong way.  My intent by the comment was, there isn't anyone on this board that can kick me any harder that I already have and I certainly deserve it. 

You know, in this sport, we prepare ourselves for when we loose a dog to a hog and we all try to minimize the risk as much as we can, but sometimes it stillhappens and we deal it with it.  I was not prepared for it to happen in my truck by one of my dogs.

Kinda like that decorated Navy SEAL that came home from all of that combat intact, with all of his limbs.  He takes another veteran out to the range to help him and the veteran turns on him and kills him.  That ain't right, but in hindsight,  we can all say to ourselves over a beer, "what was he thinking, giving a loaded gun to a vetaran with severe PTSD?"

I know the sun will come up tomorrow, Lord willing, and I will eventually stop kicking myself, but I'm not giving up on running hogs with my Kemmers and I will continue to use a CD, so I have to begin the search for a replacement, not only for her, but for him as well. 

Hey, if we wanted an easy sport, guess we could take up golf?  Yeah, that ain't happenin'

PM sent. Smiley

~Krystale of the Southern Comfort Combine~
www.southerncomfortcombine.webs.com
*Proud member of the Mississippi Hunting Dog Association*
ADBA Safe Dog Program Evaluator and Trainer
UNDERDOG
Global Moderator
Hog Catching Machine

I always tell the truth.....even when I lie!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2014, 12:03:55 pm »

I'll be calling Scott this afternoon, thanks. 

Wink

Yep Dee, get with Scott. I'll vouch for him and his dogs and y'all are close enough you can go visit and see for your self.

Bryant Mcdonald
New Caney, Tx.
936-537-2537

www.facebook.com/Bonedigger.kennels.
UNDERDOG
Global Moderator
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2014, 12:05:49 pm »

AB and make sure it's a good one from proven stock.  Options are : Scott, Underdog(Bryant), Britt Garcia, Tico at Jam Up.  I am done with breeding for awhile or I would recommend myself lol.   

Yes, all folks with good bulldogs.  Grin

Bryant Mcdonald
New Caney, Tx.
936-537-2537

cgasch
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2014, 01:54:47 pm »

here is mine I got fromSscott

UNDERDOG
Global Moderator
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2014, 04:13:58 pm »

Glad you got you one Mr G

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Bryant Mcdonald
New Caney, Tx.
936-537-2537

J. Tallina
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2014, 05:56:21 pm »

Don't forget Mr. Juan
Americanlegendz
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2014, 09:18:03 am »

Grin  Thanks josh.  I like to stay under the radar myself. lol   Really try to get the dogs with good folks like yourself and the other hunters I work with over the years.  Really Britt Garcia and Americanlegendz can be used interchangeably now with the hog catching line we are using.  I only work with Britt now when it comes to the hog catching hines line we have been working on for the last several years.  I recommend you check with the other dudes mention above.  All good lines and working there dogs to the fullest.  If I can help anyone out I'm always willilng to try my hardest to do my part.   
aussie black mouth curs
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2014, 05:24:55 pm »

have a look at aussie pig dog sites....heaps of non-pit options....boxer crosses, english bull terriers, staghound crosses, wolfhound cross with EBT would be my pick of them
hatchet10
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2014, 03:50:28 pm »

You never know about any type of bulldogs. That's pretty much all I have ever ran. Just because its a "good nature d" dog does not mean it won't cross any line. Dogs are animals just like any other animal. They have mouths instead of hands and they can't talk to us either. I have had american bulldogs, pits, old english bulldogs, and several different mixes. For one, any bulldog breed is bred to fight, period. When you research them, they'll say bred to hunt bear, bull baiting, dog fighting etc. Like it was earlier stated, bulldogs have a higher prey drive because of this. That's also why we use them as "catch dogs". I will say I've seen some really good catch dogs that were ridgeback and cur mixed. but far and few in between. I've been bit by my own dogs 3 times and my wife got bit once.  I got bit because they were tired, another time because one didn't want me to pull him off a hog, and another time I was sewing one up. My wife got bit because she tried to separate a bulldog that was mounting a gyp. Dumb move. If you read all these cases of mine, you can understand why I had this happen a few times, hell I'd bite someone too. Pits in my experience are worse, but that's just my experience. I have a american bulldog/old english bulldog that hasn't bit me yet. He's pretty nice.
Kid7
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2014, 04:16:07 pm »

The only thing I trust more than a bulldog when I'm going to put my hands on a hog is lead

Seth Gillespie
Cattracker549
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2014, 04:31:40 pm »

I didn't care how crazy the Pitts would get I just put a muzzle and led through the wood are he might snap me I have been hog hunting longer than than most but you can control these animals they must be chained and with heavy collar never mix with other dogs I never wanted one that wasn't crazy as a Bessy bug when and it will happen he will turn on you you need to let him no who the boss is and I stress the last words. I have been training hog dogs for thirty plus years .
Purebreedcolt
Hog Doom

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2014, 05:30:04 pm »

Got to look they are out there just got to look.  I like the ridgeback and the crosses.  Easy handling and I know a lot think they are dumb and maybe im lucky but they are smart.  I require a smart cd and will cull a dumb one just as fast as one that dont catch maybe faster. 

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk
MrsLouisianaHogDog
Hog Doom

*Official WWT Scorer*

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2014, 07:25:25 pm »

My wife got bit because she tried to separate a bulldog that was mounting a gyp. Dumb move.

If any of my bulldogs ever bit me simply because I was stopping him from mounting a female, that dog would be in the dirt.

~Krystale of the Southern Comfort Combine~
www.southerncomfortcombine.webs.com
*Proud member of the Mississippi Hunting Dog Association*
ADBA Safe Dog Program Evaluator and Trainer
hatchet10
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2014, 10:28:17 pm »

Yeah cattracker that's the way I do it, only problem is I have 8 of them and only 1 lead. AND YES it is a dumb move for getting in between dogs while there doing their business like you're human birth control. Its kind of like pulling a dogs tale. If i went around pulling my bulldogs tale all day and then he bit me, I wouldn't feel right putting him in the dirt for it
Black Smith
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2014, 11:19:14 pm »

sorry for your loos and good luck finding a replacement!!
chads7376
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2014, 04:55:26 pm »

I use a Staghound duo for my catching. Grey one is stag and the other is his son 1/4pit 1/4dane 1/2stag

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: