October 03, 2024, 01:29:38 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: hog removal with dogs  (Read 2024 times)
jdt
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« on: March 17, 2014, 12:39:47 pm »

trying to get a job with usda . has anybody got any solid statistics on the benefits of using dogs for hog removal ?

i need something that looks professional to show them .
b.b.b kennels
Catch Dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 01:20:35 pm »

TAMU agrilife extension program has website links where you can print off charts and tables showing hog kills from different methods on statewide surveys. Not sure the link, but google TAMU Feral hog and should get some hits.

say what you want about my family or friends but you leave my dog the hell out of this-F.D.R.
wine6978
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 02:02:59 pm »

Are you trying to get a job specifically with usda or an agency under the usda?
jdt
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 07:58:27 pm »

wine , i would be working for usda . since they have passed obamas farm bill there is money allocated to either hire somebody new to specialize on hog removal or buy the beaver trappers that have been doing it more toys to play with  Grin

it's a long shot but you miss 100% of the shots you don't take  Wink
Cattracker549
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 10:22:20 pm »

My uncle works for the usda they want let him use his dogs afraid of animal right groups.
jdt
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 01:56:20 pm »

wine , do you keep up with how many hogs you kill ? if so can you send me something to show ?
BRK
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 04:00:58 pm »

May not be the results you want to see

http://plumcreek.tamu.edu/media/10192/feralhogpopulationgrowthdensityandharvestfinal.pdf
warrent423
Alpha Dog

Florida Cracker

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 08:28:08 pm »

Went to the Valley Farmers CO-OP here in McMinn County last Thursday, and the Game Wardens had two biologists and a guy from the USDA there. They were signing up local farmers for state funded helicopter shoots. I asked if they had a list for dogman and the jackass usda moron told me that using dogs was illegal and that all they did was spread hogs. I laughed in his face and walked out of the room. I went and found the land owner consultant that works for the CO-OP and told him that if he had any farmers that needed serious removal services, to give me a holler and that I would offer my services, legal or not. He took my name and phone number and shook my hand. We'll see what happens.

Catchin hogs cracker style
jdt
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 09:00:04 pm »

yep warren thats what i'm dealing with ! where do they come up with that crap ?

this is the reason for the post , i need solid statistics to show idiots that have already had what little brains they got washed  !!!
Shotgun wg
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 10:58:50 pm »

How many of these landowners in the study actually took pigs out themselves. I personally know landowners in Texas that own very large tracts and I promise they have never killed a hog. They can tell u how many the helicopter said they killed. They can guess from the occasional talk to the hands how many were trapped. These are the people filling out surveys sent in the mail .

Shotgun
Arkansas

Shotgun
HIGHWATER KENNELS
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 12:03:01 pm »

They did a experimental hog shooting expedition from a helicopter on two wma's that is in the south part of Lousiana.  During this two day expedition they were only successful in killing 54 hogs.  They say the cost of the trips were near 50,000 dollars that the state gladly spent tax payer money on. Its really amazing to me that they can spend our money any which way they like it , and do it on state funded land that we as hunters pay permit fees to hunt each yr.  Along with this method , these biologists shoot hogs all yr long on these wmas and just leave the hogs on the side of roads and levees for the buzzards to eat.. Its really a sin and a shame what its come too. 

Hoghunters do it deeper in the bush.
jdt
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 04:42:50 pm »

maybe we should have a big discussion on this and then i'll print it off and show them what real people that have been dealing with them for generations have to say .

i've heard it said on here more than once that people have hunted with dogs right behind helicopters and caught hogs . i myself have seen hogs jump out of a bush a few feet away from my horse when a pup sticks his nose in . that bush didn't look big enough to hide a small rabbit . i have caught hogs that were "supposedly" killed from a helicopter that were missing body parts . i have heard farmers say after helicopters flew and killed ALL the hogs that "dead hogs must be able to root too " !

whats your testimony ?
warrent423
Alpha Dog

Florida Cracker

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2014, 08:34:54 pm »

Hey John, the USDA, along with TWRA, flew close to 5000 acres yesterday and today here in McMinn county. Ten hours of total flying and they killed a grand total of 4 hogs. This was funded with tax payer money.

Catchin hogs cracker style
Nannyslayer
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2014, 09:43:38 pm »

Hey John, the USDA, along with TWRA, flew close to 5000 acres yesterday and today here in McMinn county. Ten hours of total flying and they killed a grand total of 4 hogs. This was funded with tax payer money.

I hear the hogs are gettin pretty wise to the helicopters down that way. They keep saying they are going to fly here, but as many square miles of timber that we have, it seems a little useless.
To_The_Bone
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2014, 07:57:14 am »

Went out to our deer lease a couple weeks back and they were in 2 helicopters flying on 5000 acres doing that we heard from the ranch manager later that they got 168 hogs and 47 coyotes  We tried our best to ride all over so they couldn't shoot  I don't understand how anyone can get away with being able to kill that many of anything and not stir up a bunch of crap this day and time
colecross
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2014, 10:00:34 am »

This makes me sick and iam sure it does to other ppl,lets do this to the deer cause there eating all the soybeans up in the country,wen i was young we made our living on having hogs in the woods,we ate good ,put plenty of meat in freezer,feed eveybody around.i just dont c how its legal.hell they do wat they wont.our mark is long gone,but evey now and again it shows up on a good barr,lol good hunting.
jdt
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2014, 08:08:53 pm »

yessir mr. cole cross they moved the deer and turkey in here so bad its hard to raise a crop anymore !

my dad gets a permit every year to shoot deer off his beans , last year we killed over 200 ! and they still cost him 4,000 $ on just  1- 50 acre feild !

in tn they have outlawed hog hunting of any kind . unless you are a landowner and call and get a special permit it is illegal to kill a feral hog .

i hear that hogs are getting closer to us every week .

15 years ago it was legal to hunt hogs with dogs in tn . at that time the only wild hogs were in the eastern counties next to the state lines .

now there are pockets in half the counties in the state !

bears and red wolves are also showing up in places that they havn't been in 150 years  Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: