October 06, 2024, 09:17:19 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Effectively using a break stick  (Read 1952 times)
hoghunter71409
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« on: March 29, 2016, 08:59:01 pm »

I'm wondering how many people that use break sticks have broken teeth in their catch dogs by using a break stick?  Any other disadvantages or reasons not to use a break stick?

Is there such thing as a bad breakstick or some that work better than others?

Anybody switch from a break stick to a shock collar?

7Mhunter
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 09:10:37 pm »

I've used a screwdriver one time when I was in a bind and it was the only thing on the 4 wheeler. Never have broke a dogs teeth with it. Make them out of what cutting boards are made out of. We have one that's got a bend in it and all ya gotta do is stick it in the dogs mouth and twist and comes right off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-Cowgirl up or go sit in the truck-
WayOutWest
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 09:50:17 pm »

The nylon or Teflon are a bit more forgiving than wood or horn which is what some oldtimers used. But yes you can snap teeth if you are not careful. I would not shock a bulldog off, just me but I'm not gonna punish him for doin what I asked him to do.
The Old Man
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 10:07:28 pm »

I use a breakstick that I made out of a nylon similar to Teflon it is shaped like a pistol, gives you more leverage than a straight one, and won't break teeth. it is about .750 thich taperd to nothing and about 1.00 wide, the angle of the handle in relation to the mouth piece is more than a 45 and less than a 90 works great, I made it at work. My catch dog is hard to get off especially if it is a rank hog and the "pistol grip handle is a benefit". We don't kill many but if you do he turns loose on his own as soon as the hog dies.
TheRednose
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 10:38:09 pm »

I use a breakstick that I made out of a nylon similar to Teflon it is shaped like a pistol, gives you more leverage than a straight one, and won't break teeth. it is about .750 thich taperd to nothing and about 1.00 wide, the angle of the handle in relation to the mouth piece is more than a 45 and less than a 90 works great, I made it at work. My catch dog is hard to get off especially if it is a rank hog and the "pistol grip handle is a benefit". We don't kill many but if you do he turns loose on his own as soon as the hog dies.

Wow that sounds cool, I would like to see that parting stick.

I have a nylon one and a wood one, and they are both shaped kinda like a knife with a little more rounded edges.
WayOutWest
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 11:24:49 pm »

I've made hundreds of parting sticks over the years. I used to sell them at the ADBA shows and gave them to the clubs for raffles. My favorite stock was a hatchet handle. That curved end (kinda like a pistol grip) was about the best feel in the hand.
UNDERDOG
Global Moderator
Hog Catching Machine

I always tell the truth.....even when I lie!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 11:27:39 pm »

Wow that sounds cool, I would like to see that parting stick.

I have a nylon one and a wood one, and they are both shaped kinda like a knife with a little more rounded edges.

Red, search my post and there is a pic of a pair I made like he is talking  about.

Bryant Mcdonald
New Caney, Tx.
936-537-2537

www.facebook.com/Bonedigger.kennels.
bignasty
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 05:14:36 am »

When i use a break stick i dont pry on his teeth,there is a gap behind the last molar on his jaw bone.
chipolariverman
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2016, 07:37:21 am »

Ok I have searched trying to find a picture of these "pistol grip" breaking sticks but have not had any luck.  Can someone post a picture of one?
UNDERDOG
Global Moderator
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2016, 09:05:34 am »

Ok I have searched trying to find a picture of these "pistol grip" breaking sticks but have not had any luck.  Can someone post a picture of one?

not exactly pistol grip but the ones i use and like.

Bryant Mcdonald
New Caney, Tx.
936-537-2537

Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2016, 10:07:09 am »

I train mine to let go by command

TheRednose
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2016, 12:16:39 pm »

Pffff always taking the easy way out! lol

Those are nice Underdog similar to what I have except mine are slightly more round toward the end but almost the same.

hoghunter71409
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2016, 01:26:16 pm »

Well Judge the dog I have now is 5.  I've had him his entire life and I have always been able to get him off by holding his collar and giving him a tap on the head and a little encouragement.  He is very well minded.  But, the last couple of months has been a different story.  A tug boat could not pull him off a hog now and I've had to use a break stick the last several hogs.
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2016, 02:01:09 pm »

I hear ya mine will do that time to time I just change my tone and he does his lol. I think they do that not becuze his bite is harder he knows when he comes off his job is done and a pit by nature wants to finish there job.

UNDERDOG
Global Moderator
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2016, 02:26:36 pm »

Those are nice Underdog similar to what I have except mine are slightly more round toward the end but almost the same.

10-4....i like the smaller point,for me it is easier to get it in the back in that lil gap if they have a tight,closed mouth.

Bryant Mcdonald
New Caney, Tx.
936-537-2537

chipolariverman
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2016, 04:54:32 pm »

Thanks UNDERDOG, for some reason when y'all was talking about "pistol grip" I was thinking the stick was curved to give you more leverage, kind of like the grip of the pistol.  Clear as mud right, LOL.

not exactly pistol grip but the ones i use and like.

TheRednose
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2016, 05:35:23 pm »

10-4....i like the smaller point,for me it is easier to get it in the back in that lil gap if they have a tight,closed mouth.

Yup I like yours better. My friend has the same one like mine that he filed down for that very reason. But honestly once you know what your doing and get good at it, it don't much matter well at least for me. I have been in bind before and used things that would make you laugh. Thanks for showing them.
7Mhunter
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2016, 05:40:16 pm »

One of the ones we have

chipolariverman
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2016, 06:19:11 pm »

That is what I thought y'all was talking about with regards to a pistol grip.

One of the ones we have

7Mhunter
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2016, 08:47:44 pm »

That is what I thought y'all was talking about with regards to a pistol grip.

One of the ones we have

You can stick that one in the mouth and barley twist and will come right off.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: