October 14, 2024, 10:18:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Snaring hogs ????  (Read 1165 times)
Georgia-Hawgs
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« on: November 17, 2016, 04:03:35 pm »

What's up y'all? Been a long time since I've posted here. I got rid of the dogs due to personal reasons, and not hunting hardly any. But it was a good deal. I sold them cheap to a friend and still have access to them. Any way , have any of y'all ever snared a hog? I raise a bunch of pigs on my pasture behind electric fence. My fence is about 3 feed from a neighbors fence that's made with old horse wire. It's got a hole in it and some hogs are coming through that hole several times a week. The problem is there's only about 3 feet between his fence and mine. There is a good anchor point right beside the hole, But the snares I have found online are 6 or 8 feet long. I want to make sure the hog (decent size boar 200-250) don't destroy our fences. I will know when he gets snagged and starts rasing hell because my yard dog will light up. But I know it won't take him long to tear up my fence if he gets wrapped up in it. What would y'all do. I've been wanting to get this hog caught for weeks now. Thank ya fellas. I still read a bunch on here. Just don't post as much.

Take your kids hunting and you wont have to hunt your kids
Slim9797
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 08:27:24 pm »

i snared before I got dogs. 3/16 steel 7 strand BRaided wire, some 3/16 nuts(like for a bolt) and big 1" washers. Drill 1/4 holes through washer across from each other just a little offset. Bend washer, from one hole to other in half, to a 90 degree angle. Cut how ever long of piece of cable you want. Braid one ind of the cable back into its self so you have about a 6 inch loop. Then slide the washer on so it sits like so then take that nut. Crush it on other end with bench clamp or hammer. Then hang with bottom of loop about 5 inches off the ground and anchor it around a solid t post or fence post. I've caught some big hogs like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We run dillo dogs that trash on hogs
Slim9797
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 08:28:54 pm »

You'll get good and figure out how high to hang them and how big of loops to make so you can catch them alive by the snout.

We run dillo dogs that trash on hogs
Georgia-Hawgs
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 06:35:22 am »

I'm hoping to catch this one alive. I got pictures of him this morning. I walked up there with a 22. He was there with my pigs , humping every damn body....haha. I have already popped him once with that old 22 and he took it like a champ. I stood around filming him at 30 yards waiting on him to come closer and give me a behind the ear shot. It's chilly this morning and I could tell the wind was blowing right at him from my breath. He came to within 25 yards. Stopped and started checking the wind, sniffing so loud I could hear it. Looked around a few times, let his clutch out and was gone.

hyan
Strike Dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 03:30:02 pm »

i snared before I got dogs. 3/16 steel 7 strand BRaided wire, some 3/16 nuts(like for a bolt) and big 1" washers. Drill 1/4 holes through washer across from each other just a little offset. Bend washer, from one hole to other in half, to a 90 degree angle. Cut how ever long of piece of cable you want. Braid one ind of the cable back into its self so you have about a 6 inch loop. Then slide the washer on so it sits like so then take that nut. Crush it on other end with bench clamp or hammer. Then hang with bottom of loop about 5 inches off the ground and anchor it around a solid t post or fence post. I've caught some big hogs like this.

Did ours the same way we would set um up on macnut fields put up a trail can see around what time they come in and just hang um 1 hour before and just wait soon as they caught would just grab um n put them in the truck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

MAUKA 2 MAKAI
Judge peel
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 02:10:25 pm »

A snare caught my flash dog on his leg few yrs ago I stopped using them cuz I didn't want that to happen to anyone else

Georgia-Hawgs
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 02:20:17 pm »

I wouldn't want to do it on a regular basis and I dont think I'd do it at all if I knew there were some dogs running the area. This is pretty much in my yard and I know there aren't any dogs going to be going where this snare will be placed. I know it ain't impossible, but it is very very unlikely. We're gonna keep an eye out this weekend and hopefully my step son (11) can shoot him. I don't need this sucker breeding my sows

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: