October 28, 2024, 03:17:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ETHD....WE'RE ALL ABOUT HOG DOGGIN!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Science Diet ingredients??  (Read 788 times)
Nick
Bay Dog

View Profile
« on: October 16, 2009, 08:00:34 pm »

Hey ya'll,

I recently was told to beware of dog foods having corn listed as the first ingredient because it is an indicator of poor quality. I just recently got my first dog (ABxDogo) and have been trying different name brands to see which she likes best. The vet recommended Science Diet or Eukanuba, both of which I have heard to be top notch from multiple sources. While at the store today I started looking at ingredients on different name brands and noticed that Science Diet had corn listed first on the ingredients list. Most other brands did not including a lot of the really cheap brands.

I guess in a nutshell what I am trying to ask is if I should pay more attention to the content percentages (Protein, Fat, etc) listed or the actual ingredients?
mex
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 09:41:08 pm »

Man all I know is vets get a few perks wiyh diffrent companies like those.No diffrent then regular doctors.I feed only prp plan performance and it is awesome.It is also higher end but the results suit me.Just my2c.

"it's not the dying im afraid of.....it's the living"
-lonesome dove
Nick
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 10:48:40 pm »

Thanks for the input. That is another brand I have looked into as well. I found a website to help with the basics on choosing a food that I'm sure a lot of people will find useful. I dont really know how reputable this site is but here it is anyways...

http://www.wikihow.com/Choose-Healthy-Dog-Food
hogdogger350
Hog Dog Pup

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 01:33:24 pm »

Im a big fan of Purina Exclusive, I worked at a feed store in college, I have been to those dog food classes, and I think Exclusive is the best hands down. Purina makes the best feed for all livestock. Just my opinion.
HogzgoneWild
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 12:19:37 am »

We have tried many, but from the dogs reaction diamond high energy and retriever have been the best, they like it and perform best on it, keeps em' in shape too, if they lay up for a lil while they don't put on weight.

"pain is just fear leavin the body"
TDHA member/TLGDA supporter
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers
Victor Dealer/Promoter
stoked
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 02:39:50 am »

you just can't beat sportmix 24/20. black and white bag.

i recently switched to 26/18 and my dogs got pretty skinny. it was hard to keep up with feeding them. i had to feed more about every day to keep up with them.

so...i had to switch back to 24/20, not as much work, less money, and dogs still perform well.

there's other dog foods that are just as good, but it comes down to personal preference. ive tried em and like sportmix as much as all the others.

used to be about $20 a bag until the ecomony went down, now im paying about $25 a bag....50lbs of course..

« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 02:45:31 am by stoked » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: