September 21, 2024, 02:40:40 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WILD BOAR USA....FOR ALL YOUR HOG HUNTING NEEDS

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Groundhog Day  (Read 458 times)
Slim9797
Hog Master

View Profile
« on: February 02, 2019, 08:21:33 pm »

Got asked last minute last night by an old buddy to guide a hunt for a guy that breeds show quality AmStaffs and his brother in law who was down from Missouri. We were already planning on going so I said what the hell and made it happen. Kicked Sketch and Rocky loose about 7:45 and by 8:15 they were foot racing a track to a really good boar hog. They struck at about 450 and he ran about 50 yards and sat up and bayed. We get close finally and he breaks and does like every big smart boar on this place always does and heads for a growed up spot where a bunch of old cedar had been bulldozed into a pile and is now covered in briars and yaupons. I crawled around in there for 20 minutes trying to find a shot, I’d get close and he’d walk off on the dogs 10 yards. Finally he broke, they took him .8 and bayed for a few minutes, he broke again and I had to tone them out cause we ran out of real estate. I took the blame on that one. Should have been patient and gotten a shot, they held up there end of the deal. Oh well they come back and we tried again. They trail off on the north end of the place and bay at 150 yards. We got to them and I shoot a decent little boar hog. decide to hit a big bottom next county road over. Just a big prairie where the navidad river runs through. If the hogs are there it’s really fun. We go and kick them down and takes a little doing but Sketch swims the river and sounds off, rocky gets there and they got a group bayed. We go down find a spot to cross and come back up. Easy wind blows our scent right to them and they break. Sketch takes a boar hog up river and rocky decides she can handle him and he goes to snatching shoats. Rhett and the amstaff breeder kill the shoat and sketch has taken this hog .7 up river, crossed it twice and is bayed. We make our way to her. I was pretty certain she was either in the river or had crossed the county road and was bayed on a big lake because we got closer and closer and I still couldn’t hear her. About 350 yards out rocky hears her and goes and they hammer down. 200 yards we can finally hear them. We get close and they’re standing on a bluff bank baying, realize they got him hemmed up against some very random and out of place cattle panels get about 10 yards from em and wait for my shot, dogs see me and back off and I shoot him right between the eyes, somehow he turns, tries to get under the panels, turns back and comes for me and I put one in his ear at my feet. Little western but the boys we had out thought it was the coolest stuff. Rain started to set in after that and we said to hell with it. Nothing wrong with 2 boar hogs and a shoat for a morning. The guys were more than amazed by the working dogs concept, they had a blast, and sketch and rocky really showed off. Good morning back home running around my old stomping grounds. Got a new place out of the deal too we might just go hit tomorrow  https://vimeo.com/315039783

We run dillo dogs that trash on hogs
NLAhunter
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 06:49:27 am »

Sounds like a good time

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Slim9797
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 01:02:13 pm »

couldn’t shoot to save my life this weekend. Sight got moved on my rifle and I was 6” high. Cost the dogs a decent boar and a big ole stuff they bayed in the wide open st the new place Sunday afternoon before I noticed. Ended up getting them to give us one last try and we managed to kill a big sow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We run dillo dogs that trash on hogs
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: