October 20, 2024, 02:53:51 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PORK TODAY?

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Matt- Owens Cur dogs  (Read 5921 times)
skoalbandett
Catch Dog

View Profile
« on: October 29, 2009, 06:58:09 am »

Matt, Bob asked me if I would post some pictures I think you wanted to see of some of the dogs.  Seems you guys know a lot of the same folks and stomped the same woods at some point in time. Would love to hunt with ya sometime.  Kind of hard to pick out dogs and limit the pictures as there have been many over the years.  But here is a few of them and some of the better dogs that we also used for breeding. We don't really breed many dogs and usually didnt breed dogs till they have some age on them as we dont breed anything till the dogs fully prove themselves and are the best we have.

This picture is of a litter which really contained  the backbone for the line of dogs we still have today. We still inbreed and line breed back to those dogs.  It was taken in about 1978.  This is Liz. a gyp My father in law owned ( Bob's Dad ) with her pups out of Ricky Driver's "Leroy" dog. Out of this litter came several really good dogs that were prolific producers as well.  Among them were  " Punch " and Ben Jordan's " Henry ". From that litter of pups and especially those two dogs have come many outstanding cow and hog dogs over the years.  

This is "Punch", taken at one year old in 1979.

Buck

Buffy

Buck II and John Gay with Dr. Feel Good ( by Henry )

Gus ( The best Male hog dog I ever went to the woods with )

Gus & Crystal

Gus _ Crystal_ Buck ( taken probably 15 years or so ago )

Baby Doll

Little Ann and Gus

Buster - Picture taken at 16 years old.  Son of Punch, he was a top cowdog and  an outstanding producer. He sired last litter at 15 and died at 17 in 2004..

Ginger - Daughter of Punch - Picture taken at 13 years old, died at 15.

Jake - Buster x Ginger born 1996 ) Outstanding male dog, hog killed him at 8 . Sired only 2 litter, was going to be a outstanding sire.

Zeke & Punch Jr

Boss - Punch Jr - Baby Doll - Dan- Jake - Hoss

Dot - Buster x Ginger - The best hog dog gyp that I ever saw, maybe even the best I ever saw period. Amazing dog, once in a lifetime kind of dog. She looks like she is going to be an outstanding producer to.

Sue

Sally

Hoss-- Never be another one like him! ( Picture taken at 11 years old )

Peanut

Bear - Buster x Ginger - ( the male dog we are still hunting and breeding today)

Sara - Litter mate to Bear - Still using her today and breeding her

Rowdy - Dot - Rowdy was a awsome hog dog, hog killed him this year. His first two litters have just started and are doing well and look excellent.

Pups by Rowdy we kept and started in the last  month or so. There are 7 and 8 mo. old.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 07:33:33 am by skoalbandett » Logged

Daddy always said, Listen with ya eyes because  your ears will lie to ya..
matt_aggie04
Administrator
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 07:33:53 am »

Skoal, Bob thank you for the pictures!  I really like the looks of those dogs and I like the history behind them and the fact that you have been able to keep track of all their lineage for 40-50 years.  Look forward to meeting yall and looking at some of these dogs in person.  Thanks again for taking the time to post the pics for me, I'll be in touch.

It is funny that you run into people on the computer that know people you know and your parents know etc, very small world.

Matt G
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 07:55:53 am by matt_aggie04 » Logged

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session" - Mark Twain (1866)

"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"~Woodrow F. Call

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."~Thomas Jefferson
Marshall
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 08:18:35 am »

Good looking dogs! I like that old stock! They look like they can get it done. Thanks for the pics!
nosightsneeded
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 08:37:43 am »

WOW! THANKS FOR POSTING. I COULD ONLY IMAGINE HOW DETERMINATION AND TIME IT TAKES TO CARRY A LINE ON FOR THT LONG.
BA-IV
Hog Doom

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 08:59:36 am »

Theres nothing better than seeing pictures and hearing stories from start to finish on an old line of cur dogs, unless its seeing the fruits of your labor on a way of life like that.  I bet you could feel a book up with stories on each dog you had.  Thats what raising dogs is all about right there.  Not only does that take determination and drive, but brains as well.  You got a fine setup right there. 
Bryant
Global Moderator
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 09:17:10 am »

Great pics, guys.  Thanks for posting!

A lot of those dogs look like they have pretty thick coats.

A truly rich man is one whose children rush to fill his arms even though his hands are empty.
lonewolf
Hog Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 09:40:05 am »

Those are some good lookin yella dogs with history! Thanks for posting!

Fear is only a word in the mind of the weak!
bigo
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 01:26:00 pm »

I think the hair came from dad's old gyp. Henry was heavier haird than Punch but produced slicker pups. I don't like the look but have grown to like the way it protects them in the brush and briars. As far as the heat goes, they handle the heat better than any dogs I've ever hunted, hound or cur. I'll just say it, I think some are downright ugly but they look much better when they are still going after all the others have quit.

The older I get, the better I was.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between a dog and a man.
         Mark Twain
Bryant
Global Moderator
Hog Catching Machine

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 01:34:31 pm »

I'll just say it, I think some are downright ugly but they look much better when they are still going after all the others have quit.

No doubt about that!  When I get this breeding figured out to where I can 100% cook 'em just like I like, then I'll start concentrating on what's pleasing to the eye.  I'm pretty sure I still have a long way to go...Pretty doesn't find hogs.

A truly rich man is one whose children rush to fill his arms even though his hands are empty.
bigo
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 01:50:13 pm »

Amen to that Bryant. When I first got these dogs, I tried going heavy on the looks and it didn't work as well. If I had pretty from get go then it would have been easy. Stay with find, bay and stay, and dogs that hold up to hard use over a long period of time, you wont go wrong.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between a dog and a man.
         Mark Twain
UNDERDOG
Global Moderator
Hog Catching Machine

I always tell the truth.....even when I lie!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 01:55:54 pm »

Skoal n BigO, ....good pics fellas.

I have that pic of Dot n Rowdy on my screen saver.... Grin

Y'all are some of them good ole, ole timers....Atta boy.

Bryant Mcdonald
New Caney, Tx.
936-537-2537

www.facebook.com/Bonedigger.kennels.
bigo
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 08:08:22 pm »

I will tell a story about one of these dogs then let it go. Ole Hoss was given , along with 2 litter mates, to a friend for cow dogs. When he was about 1 1/2 this fried calls and says he's going to cull him. He said all he wants to do is peel him off one and catch it so I said go ahead. After thinking about it, I decided to try him as a catch dog. The day after I got him, I sent him to his first bay alone. He went right in barked twice and caught hard. After that, he would hit one as hard as any bulldog alive, take a bad cutting and stay hooked. I would go right behind him on any hog in the woods. The day that picture was taken was his last hog, all the bulldogs were out of commision, and we brought him out of retirement. It was a big nasty and he had his old rear fully loaded, but he got the job done. He died the next year.

Mark Twain
skoalbandett
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2009, 04:10:55 pm »

Thanks Guys, I really appreciate it.

Geesh Underdog, surely you can find some prettier dogs to look at for a screen saver..lol ( But I appreciate it...)
There is a favorite sayin around here " Pretty is as pretty dose". The " Dose " part of it is the main criteria we use to cull  dogs, so who gets  bred and who gets a home for life depends on the consistancy of how they preform over time. It seems when most of the pretty one comes along, he ends up a calcium deposit somewhere or not a good enough for us to want to breed to him.

This is a 8 week old female pup out of Dot's last litter...( Reba ) Dot is gettin old and totein more scars than a World War Two B52 Bomber with 30 missons completed over Germany. These last 3 pups had to be taken by C-section. Two females who are just alike and a male that is the runt.
This litter is so special to me because this is Dots last litter and it was a total accident. Bear and Dot are full blood brother and sister just a few year apart. Bear and Dot's mother and father were Buster and Ginger, both of them sired by Punch, making them 1/2 brother and sister. Actually if you go back futher, it's probably more than that. We never wanted to breed that tight but it happened anyway.
I really wondered about these pups before they were born. Wondered just what we might see or have on our hands. The looks part of it we now know, how well they will do we wont know for a long time. Right now they act right, smart, active healthy puppies.
The thing I kept thinking about was what if they come out green, no tails..(LOL ) or expose some bad genetic weekness or have spots or glass eyes or just what the heck they could look like. I'd have to think if anything other than solid East Texas BMC dogs was in these dogs for several generations, these pups would show it as inbred as they are. So far, so good.

Dot and Reba today, The pups are 8 weeks and been weaned since they were 5 weeks but Dot loves em anyway, but then again, she's always loved puppies. 

This is Reba today

UNDERDOG
Global Moderator
Hog Catching Machine

I always tell the truth.....even when I lie!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2009, 04:13:56 pm »

Dang Skoal....you done got a fancy name for them "Owens cur dogs" next thing you know y'all will be registering them and tellin all about how versatile they are and all  Grin Shocked  Wink

Just messin w/ ya....y'all take care. Were did your boy w/ them plotts go?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 04:16:14 pm by UNDERDOG » Logged

Bryant Mcdonald
New Caney, Tx.
936-537-2537

www.facebook.com/Bonedigger.kennels.
skoalbandett
Catch Dog

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2009, 05:02:39 pm »

LOL.. Na... we probably aint gona tag em with no sir name.. they just dogs..  Smiley    
Registration !!! wow man,  you know I think that is a dirty word..   Cheesy  The versatile deal I know you are speaking about. I'll leave that to dog peddlers and puppy mills.. 
But Ya know, the registration deal on these dogs and a few more fellers dogs is not impossible and might happen some day after several years of talking  back and forth along some possible changes on his end. I always have and really would like to  help and support John  if that is possible, he is a fine man.
  John Wayne, has and has had most of our pedigrees over the years for several reasons. One is so he could register some of the pups he , his son in law and his son Jeff  have gotten from us and for the times they bred some gyps to these dogs.  I understand that he wanted to talk and have a meeting wtih us, Ben Jordan, Clue, Camp and some of the other guys at the dog trials about it this weekend but I reckon thats been put off due to more rain than they can handle up there.
 He can't do much about the past but hopefully he can and will do some things in the future but needs help doin it, so we'll see what happens. Trust me, He knows first hand what the hang ups are for some of us. I do know for a fact, several dogs have been turned down for registry lately in the Southern Black Mouth Cur registry!! That is dang sure a start !!
The plott feller, I am not sure what all is going on with him, but my gut tells me something aint exactly peachy. He;s hunted a couple times in the last couple months and didnt say much of anything  about any problem and I didnt ask. I just look at it t his way, I have enjoyed him, but either he shows up or he dont and if he has a problem, spit it out or don't. He has said he is busy at his new Bar, that very well may be what it is, I  honestly do not know.  But I do know, you can't train a dog on a chain to hunt no matter what the reason he's tied up.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 05:07:17 pm by skoalbandett » Logged

Scott
Boar Slayer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2009, 09:44:16 am »

Mighty fine animals Skoal and Big O. You can't beat generations of selectively bred, quality dogs. Hope those pups turn out for you.
JoshStokley
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2012, 07:24:50 pm »

Bob I have been reading through all of your old post along with a couple of other guys on here trying to learn more about different lines of dogs and this thread was really cool to find.  I've heard you tell several stories about most of the dogs pictured in this thread and it's awesome to get to see pics of all of them especially after reading as much as I have about them in your other post.  I love how you and a few others have kept up with the breeding of special lines of dogs and kept them going.  I hope one day I can say that I've done the same and have half the knowledge of some of the true old dog men I have had the pleasure of meeting and hearing about.

Bottom is the determination to finish a task at all cost, even his life.
reatj81
Boar Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2012, 08:27:32 pm »

Very good read!  Thanks for sharing, & please continue
JRyanS
Alpha Dog

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2012, 08:35:53 pm »

Great pictures. Thanks for sharing.
JC2
Bay Dog

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2012, 12:18:29 pm »

That was really cool. Hope to be able to put a line like that together myself.........I'll get back to ya'll in about 20 years ! THANKS for Sharing
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: